Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU) - CMMCP 77
|Placement Title||Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU) - CMMCP 77|
|Your Placement Contact||Gill Seymour - Send Email|
|Placement Contact's Role||
|Placement Address||St Mary's Hospital, Hathersage Road, Manchester, M13 0JH|
|Placement Phone||0161 276 6540 - Please advise learners that this office is not staffed all the time. Off duty requests can be made via Shift co-ordinator 0161 901 0946 if they can not contact the team directly.|
|Your University Contact:||Michaela Barnard - 0161 295 3811 - Send Email|
About this placement
What is organised for students on commencement of placement?
- Dedicated induction day with member of the Education Team to cover all aspects of orientation including ANTT and basic resuscitation as well as mandatory requirements for health and safety
- Booklet outlining learning opportunities
- Regular teaching sessions
What are the arrangements for mentors/assessors?
Pre-arranged according to module and learning outcomes required. Minimum of 1 full mentor and 1 associate mentor.
What shift patterns are students allocated for learning?
12.45am - 9.30pm
What patient care situations are available in this placement?
Caring for the sick preterm or term infant with medical and/or surgical conditions.
What nursing model is used for planning care?
Systems based model
What core clinical skills can be learnt?
- Feeding management
- Respiratory Support
- Developmental Care
- Parental support
What additional clinical skills can be learnt?
- Communicating and working within large MDT
- Prioritising of clinical workload
- Admission and discharge of infants with complex needs
What resources are available to help students learning?
- On-line resources available via neonatal specific websites
- In-house library and resource files
- Strong educational focus with teaching in and out of clinical area
What research and practice development activities are being undertaken?
- On-going development of evidence based practice through named forums
- Learners have access to current research projects relevant to the clinical area.
- Fetal Management Unit (clinic sessions)
- Neonatal Outreach Team
Practice Educator Facilitator - Barbara Dixon@cmft.nhs.uk - 0161 701 1858