PED - Paediatric Emergency Dept - CMMCP 4
|Placement Title||PED - Paediatric Emergency Dept - CMMCP 4|
|Your Placement Contact||Rachael Davies, Lizzy Cafferky - Send Email|
|Placement Contact's Role|
|Placement Address||Royal Manchester Children's Hospital, Paediatric Emergency Dept, Oxford Rd, Manchester, M13 9WL|
|Placement Phone||0161 701 - 9101/9102|
|Your University Contact:||Amanda Miller - 0161 295 2701 - Send Email|
About this placement
What is organised for students on commencement of placement?
An induction booklet and tailored induction day. If group of students start together a group induction is arranged. Each student is assigned a mentor and a support
What are the arrangements for mentors/assessors?
Each student will be assigned one Mentor and one support Mentor
What shift patterns are students allocated for learning?
07:30 - 15:30
13:00 - 21:15
20:30 - 08:00
Many staff work long days 07.30 to 21.15. Students are invited but not compelled to work this shift.
What patient care situations are available in this placement?
- Emergency resuscitation, stabilisation and transfer of sick infants and children
- Observation and treatment of minor illnesses and injuries
- Assessment of clinical needs through the triage process
- Care of children for up to 12hours in the Childrens Clinical Decision Unit
What nursing model is used for planning care?
- Manchester Triage Guidelines
What core clinical skills can be learnt?
*Assessment - Airway, breathing, circulation, GCS scores, EWS, CSM
*Communication with children, parents and carers
*Developing therapeutic relationships including distraction
*Multidisciplinary team working
*Administration of medicines
What additional clinical skills can be learnt?
- Wound Care
- Burns Assessment and Management
- Neurological Observations
- Treatment of minor injuries e.g. tubi-grip, sling, neighbour strapping
- Basic diagnostic investigations
- Assessment of trauma
What resources are available to help students learning?
- Student Resource File
- Reference books
- Intranet resources e.g. PED emergency treatment protocols in line with NICE guidelines
- Student teaching packs
- Useful websites
What research and practice development activities are being undertaken?
Improving Quality Programme Project-Pain Management
Children’s Community Nurses
Child Protection Team
Burns and Plastics After Care Clinic
Trauma Clinic (PED)
Other ward areas
Practice Educator Facilitator - Kirsty.Jamieson@cmft.nhs.uk - 0161 901 1854