Ward 12 - PABP 18
|Placement Title||Ward 12 - PABP 18|
|Your Placement Contact||Lorraine Blaney and Arlene Barnett - Send Email|
|Placement Phone||0161 778 3714 - Fairfield General Hospital NHS Trust, Rochdale Old Road, Bury, BL9 7TD|
|Your University Contact:||Jane Jenkins - Send Email|
About this placement
What is organised for students on commencement of placement?
Students will be given an orientation to the unit and will be introduced to the staff and the ward routine Students information booklets Staff led teaching sessions and will get at least 2 weeks off duty at a time.
What are the arrangements for mentors/assessors?
Students will be allocated a mentor prior to arrival.
What shift patterns are students allocated for learning?
07:30am - 3:30pm
11:00am - 7:00pm
Half hour break to be taken off the ward. There is a choice of shifts to suit needs. Flexible hours.
What patient care situations are available in this placement?
Caring for patients undergoing day case surgery - orthopaedic, ENT, gynaecological, general surgery, dental, urology and pain lists.
What nursing model is used for planning care?
Roper, Logan and Tierney's Activities of Living Model.
What core clinical skills can be learnt?
- Admission, transfer to and from theatre and discharge of day case patients.
- Clinical skills attained specific to each speciality, such as wound dressing or aiding mobility.
- Observational skills
- Pre and post operative care
- Infection prevention
- Patient referrals
What additional clinical skills can be learnt?
- Reassuring and giving of information to patients pre-operatively, ensuring patients are safe to go to theatre ie checklist
- Post-op recovery on the ward including deciding patient care is needed for individuals and efficient discharge of patients
- Oxygen therapy
- Airway management
What resources are available to help students learning?
- Clinical folders
- Policies & procedures
What research and practice development activities are being undertaken?
Developments - overall to establish an efficient day case service incorporating all the listed specialities and encouraging specialities to develop their day case surgery more effectively including increasing the type of treatments to be undertaken.
- Bowel cancer screening programme
- Colorectal nurse specialist
- Pre-operative assessment
- Urology lead nurse
- Leg ulcer clinic
- TB screening
Excellent learning opportunities, dedicated staff.