The Parrallel (Young Persons Health Centre) - BCHNHS 12
|Placement Title||The Parrallel (Young Persons Health Centre) - BCHNHS 12|
|Your Placement Contact||Margaret Haig, Jacqueline Platt - Send Email|
|Placement Contact's Role||
Young Persons Health Advisors
|Placement Address||9A Churchgate, Bolton, BL1 1 HU|
|Placement Phone||01204 462444|
|Your University Contact:||Gaynor Fenton. - Send Email|
About this placement
What is organised for students on commencement of placement?
- Introduction to the health needs of young people and, what is it they want from a health centre.
- Introduction to legal issues when providing services for adolescents.
- Observation and participation within the clinics, opportunities to work within a multidisciplinary/multi-agency environment
What are the arrangements for mentors/assessors?
Rachel Lancaster - student lead, will allocate.
What shift patterns are students allocated for learning?
9am - 5pm
11am - 7pm
Hours negotiable between 8.30am and 7:00pm. Occasional Saturdays 12.00 - 3.30pm.
What patient care situations are available in this placement?
- General Health and wellbeing
- Sexual health screening
- Emotional health and wellbeing
- Pre and postnatal care
- Liaison with drug and alcohol abuse services
- Smoking cessation
- Health promotion
What nursing model is used for planning care?
We use a specially developed adolescent health assessment tool.
What core clinical skills can be learnt?
- Contraception and the Menstrual Cycle
- Methods of Contraception
- Injection Techniques
- Child Development
- Child Protection
What additional clinical skills can be learnt?
- Pregnancy Testing
- Observation of Sexual Health Screening
What resources are available to help students learning?
- Local government strategies
- PCT policies and procedures
- Child protection guidelines
- Fraser guidelines
- Access to Internet
- Young persons focused literature
What research and practice development activities are being undertaken?
The Parallel is a relatively new and innovative health centre, its practice is therefore evolving and developing continuously.
- 360 drug and alcohol misuse service
- Variety of adolescent services
Students who will require a placement Risk Assessment for any reason, including pregnancy or a support need, should contact the PEF team on firstname.lastname@example.org at least two weeks before their placement commences.
The placement is suitable for child branch students in their 2nd or 3rd year.