Ward H2 - OPD - RBHP 40
|Placement Title||Ward H2 - OPD - RBHP 40|
|Your Placement Contact||Sister Alison Partington - Send Email|
|Placement Contact's Role||
Sister/Staff Nurse and PELs
|Placement Address||Royal Bolton Hospital. Minerva Rd, Bolton, BL4 0JR,|
|Placement Phone||01204 390390 - ext 3935 01204 390736|
|Your University Contact:||Dawn Gawthorpe - Send Email|
About this placement
What is organised for students on commencement of placement?
- Orientation to the Unit on first day and completion of induction checklist
- Supply of off duty
- Initial interview and discussion of action plans and placement objectives
- Discussion/arrangement of spoke placements
What are the arrangements for mentors/assessors?
- Students will be allocated a mentor prior to arrival.
- Initial meeting within 24 hours
- Will work alongside mentor a minimum of two shifts per week
What shift patterns are students allocated for learning?
Clinic hours:- 08.00 - 16.30
A variation of these shifts will be worked throughout the placement dependent on the area of the Unit working within
What patient care situations are available in this placement?
- Minor operations/eye injections
- Taking of eye swabs
- Irrigation of the eye
- Drop instillation of prescribed (PGD in place)
- Tomography of retina
- Observation of Fluorescien angiography of the eye Pre and post op care (General and Local anaesthesia)
- Care planning and assessment
- Acute and chronic eye conditions
- Orthoptic assessment
What nursing model is used for planning care?
Roper, Logan and Tierney.
What core clinical skills can be learnt?
- Asepit Non-touch Technique
- Blood pressure/pulsesaturation/respiratory rate monitoring
- Glucose monitoring
- Communication Skills
- Counselling skills
- Emotional Care
- Moving and Handling
- Infection control
- Assessment of patients and care planning (care pathway)
What additional clinical skills can be learnt?
- Assessment of Visual Acuity (snellen and logmar)
- Drop instillation
- Emergency Eye Care (pressure dressings/irrigation)
- Ph testing
- Assisting in the care of visually impaired people
What resources are available to help students learning?
- Hospital Library
- Evidence Based Practice
- Resource Files
- Access to Unit resource area
- Teaching Session, by Nursing Staff
What research and practice development activities are being undertaken?
- Research team active on luminous study
- Retinal/diabetic oedema treatment
- Progression in glaucoma care and surgery
- Ophthalmic Ward
- Out Patients Department
- Pre assessment clinic
PHILOSOPHY OF CARE
The delivery of care within ophthalmology should be based on the individual needs of the patients and their relatives. Please access the induction pack and the philosophy of the Unit within it.
Educator Facilitators - Itai.firstname.lastname@example.org - Royal Bolton Hospital