Ward D4 - RBHP 30
|Placement Title||Ward D4 - RBHP 30|
|Your Placement Contact||Rebecca Alihemate; Gemma Taylor, Lorraine Winstanley, Carol Greenhalgh - Send Email|
|Placement Contact's Role||
Sister and Practice Education Lead
|Placement Address||Royal Bolton Hospital. Minerva Rd, Bolton, BL4 0JR|
|Placement Phone||01204 390757|
|Your University Contact:||Dawn Gawthorpe - Send Email|
About this placement
What is organised for students on commencement of placement?
Welcome Pack - with all information about placement
What are the arrangements for mentors/assessors?
Mentors are allocated to students as soon as we know you are on placement with us. You can contact by e-mail or phone.
What shift patterns are students allocated for learning?
Day Shift:- 07.30 - 20.00 Night Shift:- 19.30 - 08.00 Student do not have to work the 12hr shift system. Ward is flexible with students needs as long as adheres to policy.
What patient care situations are available in this placement?
This placement is largely acutely ill Respiratory patients, which includes:- Asthma, Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease, Lung Cancer, Pneumonia, Pulmonary Embolism, Chest infections, Pneumothorax, Pleural effusion etc. There are also patients with a wide variety of medical conditions, such as Diabetes, Heart failure, Urinary infections, Cardiac, Stroke, Dementia.
Therefore the exposure you receive will be varied.
What nursing model is used for planning care?
Roper, Logan and Tierney.
What core clinical skills can be learnt?
- Basic Nursing care - Hygiene, Nutrition, Communication Nursing process - Admissions, discharge, care planning, evaluation of care
- Observations - Blood pressure, pulse, temperature, Oxygen saturations
- Administration of Medicines
- Chronic Disease Management
- Palliative Care
What additional clinical skills can be learnt?
- Invasive procedures, e.g. Chest Drains, biopsies
- Non Invasive positive
- Assessing the Breathless Patient
- Oxygen therapy
- Health Promotion
- Inhaler Technique
- Nebuliser Care
What resources are available to help students learning?
- Spoke placements following the patient journey, Close MDT work with Physiotherapist, Occupational Therapist, Dietician, Social Worker etc
- Work Based learning packs on Core skills & relevant diseases
- Respiratory teaching Sessions on Tuesday pm
- Teaching room with relevant material
- Student Forums
- Hospital Library
What research and practice development activities are being undertaken?
- Exemplar ward programme
- High Impact Interventions
- Mortality Meetings
- Deliver evidenced based care via British Thoracic Society, NICE guidance etc
Week placement in Thoracic Medicine with Specialist nurses for 3rd years. 1st and 2nd years can choose to follow a specialist nurse for the day eg: Asthma, COPD, Lung Cancer. Negotiable experiences with any members of the MDT team in order to follow the patients journey from admission to discharge.
Practice Educator Facilitators - Kisma.firstname.lastname@example.org - Royal Bolton Hospital