Timeline

1600

Worsley Old Hall is built (probably earlier in the century) as the main homestead for the Worsley Estate


1700

1748 The 3rd Duke of Bridgewater, Sir Francis Egerton (1736-1803) inherits the Worsley Estate

1760s The Brick Hall is built as the 3rd Duke's main residence in Worsley


1800

1800 Francis Leveson-Gower, later Lord Francis Egerton 1st Earl of Ellesmere, is born

1803 The 3rd Duke of Bridgewater dies and control of the Worsley Estate and Bridgewater Canal passes to a Trust

1833 Francis Leveson-Gower assumes the name of Egerton and inherits the Worsley Estate

1834 Improvements are made to the Old Hall and the Gardener's Cottage is built to accommodate the Worsley Hall gardener

1837 Sir Francis Egerton and his wife Harriet come to live at Worsley

1839 Work begins on the New Hall

1840s The Brick Hall is demolished; offices for the Bridgewater Trust are designed and built at Walkden; the Kitchen Gardens are constructed and the landscape architect William Andrews Nesfield begins his work on terraces and parkland

1846 The construction of the New Hall is completed and Sir Francis Egerton is elevated to the Peerage as Viscount Brackley and Earl of Ellesmere

1850 Entrance gates to the New Hall are built

1853 Queen Victoria tours Lancashire and stays at the New Hall along with the Duke of Wellington

1857 Queen Victoria attends the Manchester Art Treasures Exhibition and stays at the New Hall. Lord Francis Egerton, 1st Earl of Ellesmere dies.

1860s William Barber Upjohn is employed as head gardener at the New Hall and comes to live at the Gardener's Cottage

1862 The 2nd Earl of Ellesmere, George Granville Egerton dies.


1900

1903 The Bridgewater Trust is wound up and the assets revert to Lord Ellesmere

1908 Electricity is installed at the New Hall

1909 King Edward VII opens the Royal Infirmary on Oxford Road, Manchester and attends the Worsley Review held in the grounds of the New Hall

1914 The 3rd Earl of Ellesmere, Francis Charles Egerton dies. The 4th Earl, John Francis Egerton lends the New Hall to the British Red Cross Society as a hospital for injured soldiers for the duration of the War

1920 The 4th Earl begins to dismantle the New Hall and sell the furniture

1923 The Worsley Estate is sold to Bridgewater Estates Ltd for £3,300,000

1939 William Barber Upjohn, former head gardener at the New Hall dies and the Gardener's Cottage is let

1940 The Lancashire Fusiliers and 45th County of Lancaster Home Guard occupy the New Hall and grounds as a training camp

1943 Fire damages the upper floors and roof in the central section of the New Hall and the building is sold to Mr Littler for demolition

1945 Work begins on the demolition of the Hall and the bridge over Leigh Road is taken down. Land is leased to the Boy Scout Association and Middlewood Scout Camp is developed

1948 Bricks from the New Hall are sold to Hepton Urban District Council and used to build houses on the Southfield Estate, Heptonstall, West Yorkshire

1951 The War Department requisition land on the former site of the New Hall and build a reinforced concrete bunker