Skip to main content

Admissions CAS

Admissions CAS


Students without a valid UK or EEA/EU passport will be required to obtain a visa in order to study in the UK. Most students will be required to obtain a Tier 4 visa.      
Visiting students without a valid UK or EEA/EU passport will be required to obtain a visa in order to study in the UK. If you are a visiting student for less than 6 months, you may apply for a Short Term Study Visa. Please note that no work (unpaid, voluntary or work placement) is allowed on Short Term Study.      
You can make your visa application no more than three months before the start date of your course and once you receive your CAS (Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies). Your CAS will contain the start and end dates of your course.      
University of Salford encourages Nigerian students to apply for the Super Priority Visa (SPV) Service due to the recent instability of the Nigerian Naira. The SPV service provides a fast track service for Nigerian students applying for either a visit visa or a Tier 4 student visa. Find out more information here


A Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS) is a unique reference number that the University will assign and send to you once you have an unconditional offer for study and have passed the CAS and Finance Check stage. Your CAS will be sent to you via email.  

If you require a Tier 4 visa to study at the University, you will need a CAS.      
After you receive your unconditional offer, you will enter the CAS and Finance Check stage. Please await an email from the Admissions CAS Team that will include a draft CAS statement and further instructions.      
You will not be eligible to receive a CAS from the University until you have met all the conditions of your academic offer.      
Assuming that all documentation requirements have been met, please allow 5 to 7 working days for your CAS to be assigned.      
The CAS and Finance Check stage will begin approximately three months (or earlier) before the start date of your course. The CAS can only be sent to students a maximum of 90 days before the start date of your course.      

The University of Salford will be asking all students who are resident in any of these listed countries to provide a TB certificate prior to being issued a CAS.        

For any student who thinks they are exempt from being required to provide a TB certificate as they meet the criteria stipulated below MUST supply necessary proof of exemption before a CAS can be issued:        

Who doesn’t need to be tested        

You won’t need a TB test if any of the following apply:        

  • you’re a diplomat accredited to the UK          
  • you’re a returning UK resident and haven’t been away for more than 2 years          
  • you lived for at least 6 months in a country where TB screening is not required by the UK, and you’ve been away from that country for no more than 6 months          

Maintenance Requirements  

Tier 4 visa applicants are required to provide evidence that they have the required funds to support themselves for the duration of their study in the UK. You will be required to submit financial documentation with your visa application to prove this.  

You must show that you have the following available to you for your studies in the UK.  

The balance of any remaining tuition fees
£1,015 in living expenses for each month of study (maximum of 9 months) = £9,135  

Please use OANDA’s online currency converter to ensure your funds meet the required amount when converted to Pounds Sterling. Please keep in mind that the Home Office will use the exchange rate for the date your visa application is submitted and paid for when determining if your funds meet the maintenance requirement.
OANDA Currency Converter
Not all overseas banks are deemed by the Home Office as suitable to prove availability of maintenance funds. Please consult Appendix P of the Immigration Rules to ensure your bank is suitable.
  • Bank statements          
  • Certificate of Deposit          
  • Education Loan Letters          
  • Financial sponsorship letters          
  • The bank’s name and logo          
  • The date of the statement (dated not more than 31 days before the visa application is made)          
  • The account holder name          
  • The account number (IBAN only is not acceptable)          
  • The currency the funds are held in          
  • The balance of the account for at least 28 consecutive days prior to the date on the statement          
The Loan must be one of the following:        
  • An institution regulated by the FCA          
  • An institution regulated by the PRA          
  • An institution regulated by the home country’s regulator          
  • The applicant’s state or regional government          
  • A government sponsored student loan company          
  • An academic or student loan scheme          
  • The financial institution’s name and logo          
  • The date of the letter          
  • The name of the applicant as the loan holder (parents or guardians cannot be listed as the applicant)          
  • The loan reference number          
  • The amount of the loan          
  • That there is no restriction placed on the release of funds other than the applicant obtaining a Tier 4 visa          
  • Terms and conditions of the loan          
  • Date of letter          
  • Letter-headed paper of the sponsor organisation (including contact details of the organisation)          
  • An official stamp or signature from the organisation          
  • The Applicant’s name          
  • Length of the sponsorship or start and end dates of sponsorship          
  • The nature of the sponsorship (specific amount or tuition fees plus living expenses)          
  • Coverage of dependent(s) living costs, if applicable          
Parent(s) or legal guardian may sponsor your studies in the UK. In this instance, you will be required to provide the following.        
  • An official birth certificate (parent) or an adoption certificate (legal guardian) showing your relationship          
  • A letter of permission from your parent or legal guardian agreeing to sponsor your studies (tuition fees and living expenses)          
  • A suitable financial document that meets the requirements above proving maintenance funds are available          

Credibility Interviews  

The Home Office conducts interviews with students to ensure that Tier 4 visa applicants are genuine students. The interview also serves as a way to ensure that potential students are able to communicate effectively in English.  

Tier 4 applicants who are not included in the UKVI’s list of Low Risk Nationalities (list) will be required to undergo a credibility interview with Home Office. From 6 April 2016, all applicants (including Low Risk Nationalities) may be called for a credibility interview.  

Interviews conducted overseas are generally carried out by phone or Skype and last approximately 20 minutes. You will be asked required questions and your answers will be recorded. In person interviews may take place should further information be needed by the Home Office. Interviews conducted in the UK can last up to 60 minutes and are usually conducted at a visa centre.  

Use our personal statement guide to make sure you're VISA interview ready.

Yes, they are mandatory. If you do not attend a scheduled interview, your visa application may be refused.      
The Home Office may ask questions similar to the following.        
  • Why do you wish to undertake this course of study?          
  • Why have you chosen the University of Salford for study?          
  • Why have you chosen this university in the UK over studies in your home country considering the cost of study is higher?          
  • How does your chosen course of study relate to your future career plans?          
  • How do you plan to finance your studies in the UK?          
  • Do you plan to undertake work while studying in the UK?          

Further Information  

Please visit UKVI’s enquiry service webpage:
This service is a general enquiry service only and not a tracking service.