Dr Yeliz Prior
Research Fellow & Deputy Director of PGR Studies
Dr Yeliz Prior is a Research Fellow and the Deputy Director of Postgraduate Research Studies at the School of Health Sciences, University of Salford. Yeliz has joined the Rehabilitation Research Group in 2011 as a mixed-methods researcher, trained in both Epidemiological (Keele University) and Qualitative Research Methods (Oxford University). Yeliz contributes to teaching at the undergraduate and postgraduate courses in the School of Health Sciences and supervises postgraduate research students.
Alongside her academic roles at the University, Yeliz is an Advanced Clinical Specialist Occupational Therapist in Rheumatology and holds weekly clinics at the Mid Cheshire NHS Trust.
- Investigation of disabilities in daily activities, work and leisure amongst people with rheumatic and musculoskeletal conditions (MSCs).
- Self-management of pain, fatigue and depression in people with rheumatic and MSCs.
- Work rehabilitation or vocational rehabilitation of people with long-term conditions.
- Cognitive Behavioural Therapy.
- Motivational Interviewing.
- Use of digital health technologies to enhance health & quality of life outcomes.
- Outcome measurement development and psychometric testing.
Qualifications and Memberships
PhD Epidemiology, Keele University
PgCert. Academic Practice, University of Salford
BSc (Hons) Occupational Therapy, University of Salford
BTEC Counselling, Manchester City College
Fellow of Higher Education Agency (FHEA)
Full Member of Health and Care Professions Council (HCPC)
Full Member of British Association of Occupational Therapists (BAOT)
Full Member of British Health Professionals in Rheumatology (BHPR)
- British Health Professionals in Rheumatology (BHPR) Council
- European League Against Rheumatism (EULAR) Scientific Committee
- Greater Manchester Allied Health Professionals in Research (GMAHPRN) Committee
1. Prior Y and Walker N (2016) Rheumatology Occupational Therapy-led Fibromyalgia Self-Management Education using Motivational Interviewing and Mindfulness Based Cognitive Therapy: A New Approach. The Journal of Rheumatology Occupational Therapy. Vol 30 Issue 1 p.8-12.
2. Vliet Vlieland T.P.M., Van den Ende C.H.M., Alliot-Launoit F, Beauvais C, Gobbo M, Iagnocco A, Lundberg I, Munuera-Martínez P.V., Opava C, Prior Y, Redmond A, Smucrova H, Wiek D (2016) Educational needs of health professionals working in rheumatology in Europe. Rheumatic and Musculoskeletal Diseases (RMD) Open 2016;2:e000337. doi:10.1136/rmdopen-2016- 000337
3. Prior Y, Amanna A, Bodell S, Hammond A (2016) Staying at work: Employed people with Inflammatory Arthritis’ experiences of a work rehabilitation programme. British Journal of Occupational Therapy, 1-10. DOI: 10.1177/0308022616672666
4. Hammond A, Prior Y (2016) A systematic review of the effectiveness of hand exercise interventions in Rheumatoid Arthritis. British Medical Bulletin, Advanced Access Published June 30, 2016. 1–14 doi: 10.1093/bmb/ldw024
5. Thomas N.A., Plant S, Woodward-Nutt K, Prior Y, Tyson S (2015) Health care professionals’ views of the factors influencing the decision to refer patients to a stroke rehabilitation trial. Trials 2015, 16:577 doi:10.1186/s13063-015-1115-1. http://www.trialsjournal.com/content/16/1/577
6. Prior Y, Beech R, Wilkie R (2015) Self-care disability in older people with Osteoarthritis: A Systematic review. The Journal of Rheumatology Occupational Therapy Vol 29, Issue 1 Page 25 - 29.
7. Hammond A, Jones V, Prior Y (2015) The effects of compression gloves on hand symptoms and hand function in rheumatoid arthritis and hand osteoarthritis: a systematic review. Clinical Rehabilitation. Published online before print March 23, 2015, doi: 10.1177/0269215515578296
8. Prior Y, Amanna A, Bodell S, Hammond A (2015) A qualitative evaluation of an occupational therapy-led work rehabilitation for people with inflammatory arthritis: perspectives of the therapists and their line managers. British Journal of Occupational Therapy. August 2015 vol. 78 no. 8 465-466 doi: 10.1177/0308022615599175
9. Hammond A, Tennant A, Tyson S, Hawkins R, Nordenskiold U, Prior Y (2015) The Reliability and Validity of the English version of the Evaluation of Daily Activity Questionnaire for people with rheumatoid arthritis. Rheumatology (2015) doi: 10.1093/rheumatology/kev008 First published online: April 10, 2015
10. Hammond A, Prior Y, Tennant A, Tyson S, Nordenskiold U (2015) The content validity and acceptability of the Evaluation of Daily Activity Questionnaire in musculoskeletal conditions. British Journal of Occupational Therapy Vol. 78 (3) 144-157 (Publication was highlighted as Editor’s choice).
11. Hammond A, Tyson S, Prior Y, Hawkins R, Tennant A, Nordenskiold U, Thyberg I, Sandqvist G, Cederlund R (2014) Linguistic validation and cultural adaptation of an English version of the evaluation of daily activity questionnaire in rheumatoid arthritis. Health and Quality of Life Outcomes 2014, 12:143 doi:10.1186/s12955-014-0143-y
12. Hammond A, Prior Y, Tennant A, Tyson S, Nordenskiold U, Thyberg I, Sandqvist G, Cederlund R (2014) Developing the English Evaluation of Daily Activity Questionnaire in Arthritis and Musculoskeletal Conditions. The Journal of Rheumatology Occupational Therapy Vol 28, Issue 1 Page 5-7.
13. Prior Y, Hammond A (2014) Work Rehabilitation for those with Rheumatoid Arthritis in the UK: A Systematic Review. The Journal of Rheumatology Occupational Therapy Vol 28, Issue 1 Page 12-16.
14. Prior Y, Arafin A, Hammond A, Adams J, Jacklin A, Hough Y (2017) Rheumatology Occupational Therapists’ views of participating in a randomised controlled trial of Arthritis Gloves. Rheumatology Accepted
15. Vlieland, T.V, Van Den Ende, C (2016) and Educational Subcommittee of the EULAR Standing Committee of Health Professionals in Rheumatology¿ Postgraduate rheumatology education for health professionals in rheumatology: availability, needs and barriers. Annals of Rheumatic Disease, Annals of the Rheumatic Diseases, 1265 10.1136/annrheumdis-2016-eular.2517
16. Hammond A, Meesters J, Vlieland T, Peeters A, Tennant A, Tyson S, Nordenskiold U, Prior Y (2016) Psychometric Testing Of The Dutch Evaluation Of Daily Activities Questionnaire In Rheumatoid Arthritis. Annals of Rheumatic Disease, 1263 [AB1056] 10.1136/annrheumdis-2016-eular.2517
17. Prior Y, Tennant A, Hammond A (2015) Psychometric Testing of the Valued Life Activities Questionnaire in People with Rheumatoid Arthritis in the UK: Rasch Analysis. Arthritis Rheumatism 2015; 67 (suppl 10).
18. Prior Y, Hammond A, Tyson S, Tennant A (2015) Development and Psychometric Testing of the British English Measure of Activity Performance of the Hand (MAP-HAND) Questionnaire in Rheumatoid Arthritis. Annals of Rheumatic Disease, Annals of the Rheumatic Diseases, Vol. 54 (Suppl 1) i121; 06/2015.
19. Prior Y, Ahlstrand I, Bjork M (2015) Participation in valued life activities in people with rheumatoid arthritis: A comparison between the UK and Sweden. Annals of the Rheumatic Diseases, 74 (Suppl 2) 73; 06/2015.
20. A Hammond, Y Prior, V Jones, M Dooley, Y Hough, A Jacklin (2015) A pre-post-test pilot trial of compression gloves in early inflammatory and rheumatoid arthritis. Rheumatology 2015 Vol 54 (Suppl 1) i111.
21. Tonga E, Hammond A, Prior Y (2015) Linguistic validation and cultural adaptation of the Valued Life Activities Scale in Turkey in people with rheumatoid arthritis. Annals of the Rheumatic Diseases, p. 1351; 06/2015.
22. Prior Y, Amanna A, Hammond A (2015) Rheumatology occupational therapists’ line managers’ views of a Vocational Rehabilitation programme delivered to patients with work problems. Annals of the Rheumatic Diseases, 74 (Suppl 2) p.1370; 06/2015.
23. Prior Y (2015) Patient Perspectives on Vocational Rehabilitation Provision. Rheumatology, 54 (Suppl 1), i3; 04/2015.
24. Prior Y, Hammond A (2015) The Survey Of Rheumatology Occupational Therapy Compression Glove Practice And Provision in The UK. Rheumatology, 54 (Suppl 1) i101; 04/2015.
25. Prior Y, Tennant A, Hammond A, Tyson S (2015) Psychometric Testing Of Measure Of Activity Performance In The Hand (Map-Hand) Questionnaire In Rheumatoid Arthritis: Rasch Analysis. Rheumatology, 54 (Suppl 1), i121; 04/2015
26. Hammond A, Prior Y, Tyson S (2015) Development and Psychometric Testing Of A British English Version Of The Disabilities Of The Arm Shoulder And Hand (Dash) Questionnaire. Rheumatology, 54 (Suppl 1), i117; 04/2015
27. Hammond A, Prior Y, Jones V, Dooley M, Hough Y (2014) The Effect of Compression Gloves in Hand Osteoarthritis: A Pre-Post-Test Trial. Arthritis and Rheumatism 66 (Supp 11) S436
28. Prior Y, Hammond A, Tyson S (2014) Is Pain Disabling Adults with Musculoskeletal Conditions? Ann Rheum Dis 73 (Suppl 2) DOI: 10.1136/annrheumdis-2014-eular.3399
29. Prior Y, Hammond A (2014) Do Occupational Therapy Services Fulfil the Work Related Needs of Rheumatology Patients in the UK? Ann Rheum Dis 73 (Suppl 2) DOI: 10.1136/annrheumdis-2014-eular.3407
30. Hammond A, Prior Y, O’Brien R, Woodbridge S, Radford K (2014) Work Rehabilitation in Inflammatory Arthritis: Pilot Randomised Controlled Trial. Ann Rheum Dis 73 (Suppl 2) DOI: 10.1136/annrheumdis-2014-eular.5378
31. Hammond A, Prior Y, Tennant A, Horton M, Tyson S (2014) Development Of The Evaluation Of Daily Activities Questionnaire In Musculoskeletal Conditions: Psychometric Testing. Ann Rheum Dis Ann Rheum Dis 73 (Suppl 2) DOI: 10.1136/annrheumdis-2014-eular.3334
32. Hammond A, Jones V, Prior Y (2014) A Systematic Review of Compression Gloves in Arthritis. Rheumatology 53 (Suppl 1), p125
33. Hammond A, Jones V, Prior Y (2014) Reliability of Three Objective Hand Measures: Joint Circumference, Composite Finger Flexion and the Grip Ability Test. Rheumatology 53 (Suppl 1), p124
34. Prior Y, Bodell S, Amanna A, Hammond A (2014) Rheumatoid Arthritis Patients’ Views of A Vocational Rehabilitation Intervention Provided by Rheumatology Occupational Therapists. Rheumatology 53 (Suppl 1), p121
35. Prior Y, Wilkie R, Beech R, Peat, G (2013) Population Based Prospective Study of Self-Care Restriction In Older Adults With Joint Pain. Ann Rheum Dis 72 (Suppl3):777
36. Prior Y, Bodell S, Amanna A, Hammond A (2013) Occupational Therapists’ views of a structured interview to identify and prioritise the work problems of people with rheumatoid arthritis. Turk J Phys Med Rehab 59 (Suppl 2), p66
37. Prior Y, Bodell S, Amanna A, Hammond A. (2013) The views of rheumatology occupational therapists of a vocational rehabilitation programme. Turk J Phys Med Rehab 59 (Suppl 2), p76
38. Hammond A, Prior Y, Tyson S, Tennant A (2013) Psychometric testing of the evaluation of daily activity questionnaire in osteoarthritis in the United Kingdom Turk J Phys Med Rehab 59 (Suppl 2), p109
39. Preston, A, Prior Y (2013) A systematic review of work interventions for people with Rheumatoid Arthritis. British Journal of Occupational Therapy 2013, Volume 76, (Suppl 1), p. 125-126
40. Hammond A, Greenhill Y, O’Brien R, Woodbridge S (2013) WORK-IA: Developing a trial of work rehabilitation in inflammatory arthritis (IA). British Journal of Occupational Therapy Volume 76, (Suppl 1), p 68
41. Greenhill Y, Hammond A, Tyson S (2012) Factors Associated with Person-Perceived Disability in Adults Aged 18+ with Rheumatoid Arthritis. Arthritis and Rheumatism 50 (Suppl 1).
42. Hammond A, Tyson S, Tennant A, Nordenskiold U, Greenhill Y (2012) Development of the Evaluation of Daily Activity Questionnaire (EDAQ) in Rheumatoid Arthritis: psychometric testing', Annals of the Rheumatic Diseases , 71(Supp3), p.753.
43. Greenhill Y, Wilkie R, Beech R, Peat G (2011) Self-care needs in community-dwelling older adults with joint pain: a descriptive cross-sectional study. Ann Rheum Dis 70 (Suppl3):698
44. Greenhill Y, Wilkie R, Nicholls E, Myers H, Marshall M, Hill S, Dziedzic K. (2009) Restricted self-care and looking after the home in adults 50 years and older with hand osteoarthritis: prevalence and links with joint-specific characteristics. Rheumatology 48 (Suppl 1):i6.
EDUCATIONAL MATERIALS & BOOK CHAPTERS
Prior Y (2015) Co-author on Fibromyalgia Module: EULAR Online Course for Health Professionals in Rheumatology. See http://www.eular.org/edu_online_course_hpr.cfm
Prior Y, Hammond A (2017) Chapter: Work Rehabilitation. Occupational therapy for people experiencing illness, injury or impairment: Promoting occupation and participation (7th ed). ELSEVIER