Dr Claire Mercer
- Allerton L608
- T: 0161 295 3865
- E: email@example.com
- Linkedin: @https://uk.linkedin.com/in/claire-mercer-82b1b781
- Twitter: @mercer_claire WeMammographers
- SEEK: Research profile
"Please contact me via email for an appointment"
Qualifying as a Radiographer in 1995, I progressed into the field of mammography in 1999 and quickly developed into the role of Advanced Practitioner, undertaking breast interventional procedures, followed by a Superintendent role in breast services in 2005. I completed my MSc, with distinction, in Advanced Medical Imaging in 2011 at the University of Salford and continued my research work progressing to complete my PhD by published works in 2015. During this time I was the Lead Radiographer/Programme Manager for Breast Imaging at the Nightingale Centre & Genesis Prevention Centre at the University Hospital of South Manchester.
My PhD research work was centred on breast compression during mammography and I have published several peer reviewed papers in this field and presented my work within several key conferences. Some outcomes of this research have been published in an academic mammography book ‘Digital Mammography – A Holistic Approach’ (Hogg, P., Kelly, J., Mercer, C. 2015) which I was involved as co-editor together with co-authorship of one chapter.
In August 2015 I was appointed Lecturer in the School of Health Sciences and am now progressing my Post-Doctoral research in the same field working with international colleagues on two key research projects focusing on breast compression and practitioner variability.
· Module Leader Fundamentals of Mammography Practice and Advanced Techniques in Mammography Practice
· Specialist Lead Fundamentals of Radiological Reporting and Radiology Image Interpretation
Supporting the Undergraduate Radiography Degree Programme
Standardisation of breast compression in mammography
Qualifications and Memberships
BSc(Hons), MSc, PhD
HCPC, Society of Radiographers
1. Diffey J, Hufton A, Astley S, Mercer C, Maxwell A, 2008. Estimating individual cancer risks in the UK national breast screening programme: a feasibility study. EA Krupinski (ED.): IWDM 2008. LNCS 5116, pp 469-479, 2008 Springer-Verlag Berlin Heidelberg. 2008
2. Hauge, I.H.R., Hogg, P., Szczepura, K., Connolly, P., & Mercer C.E. (2012). The readout thickness versus the measured thickness for a range of screen film mammography and full-field digital mammography units. Medical physics, 39 (1), 263–271. doi:10.1118/1.3663579
3. Hogg, P., Taylor, M., Szczepura, K., Mercer, C., & Denton, E.R.E. (2013). Pressure and breast thickness in mammography- an exploratory calibration study. The British journal of radiology, 86 (1021), 20120222. doi:10.1259/bjr.20120222
4. Mercer, C.E., Hogg, P., Lawson, R., Diffey, J., & Denton, E.R.E. (2013). Practitioner compression force variability in mammography: a preliminary study. The British journal of radiology, 86 (1022), 20110596. doi:10.1259/bjr.20110596
5. Hogg, P., Mercer, C., Maxwell, A., Robinson, L., Kelly, J., & Murphy F. (2013). Controversies in compression, Imaging and oncology, 28-36, ISBN 9871 871101581
6. Mercer, C.E., Hogg, P., Szczepura, K., & Denton, E.R.E. (2013). Practitioner compression force variation in mammography: A 6-year study. Radiography, 19 (3), 200–206. doi:10.1016/j.radi.2013.06.001
7. Mercer, C.E., Hogg, P., Cassidy, S., & Denton, E.R.E. (2013). Does an increase in compression force really improve visual image quality in mammography? – An initial investigation. Radiography, 19 (4), 363–365. doi:10.1016/j.radi.2013.07.002
8. Mercer, C.E., Hogg, P., Kelly, J., Borgen, R., Millington, S., Hilton, B. … Whelehan, P. (2014). A mammography image set for research purpose utilizing BI-RADS density classification. Radiologic technology, 85 (6), 609–613.
9. Mercer, C.E., Szczepura, K., Kelly, J., Millington, S.R., Hilton, B., & Hogg, P. (2015). A 6-year study of mammographic compression force: Practitioner variability within and between screening sites. Radiography, 21 (1), 68-73. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.radi.2014.07.004
10. Smith, H., Mercer. C.E, Maxwell, A., Hogg, P. (2015). Does elevating image receptor increase breast receptor footprint and improve pressure balance? Radiography. November 2015 Volume 21, Issue 4, Pages 359–363.
11. Hogg, P., Kelly, J., Mercer, C (2015). Digital Mammography: A Holistic Approach. Springer International Publishing. DOI 10.1007/978-3-319-04831-4 ISBN: 978-3-319-04830-7