How to complete your DBS application
You will receive your e-invitation to complete the DBS application once you have accepted your place on the course
The role of the Disclosure and Barring Service is to help the University of Salford make safer recruitment decisions by checking the background of applicants and providing details of any convictions, cautions, reprimands, and warnings. To obtain your DBS clearance from the University you will need to apply via our online system. You apply for your DBS clearance only when you have received instructions from the University. The process you will be required to follow is:
- You will receive an e-invitation from email@example.com entitled “Activation of Disclosure Service Account”. The e-invitation details the link to the Salford Disclosures login page (https://salford.disclosures.co.uk) and your unique username and password for you to access your online application. For new intakes we hold Pre-Induction Events where you will be able to commence your DBS application by attending an ID Verification Session, or there is a timetabled slot sometime during the first weeks on the programme. If this applies to your programme you will receive information into your personal email approximately 6 weeks before you are due to commence your programme
- Log on to your application and choose three documents to verify your identification. These three documents must confirm your full legal name, date of birth, and your current UK address. We can only accept valid, current and original documentation, we cannot accept photocopies, and we cannot accept documentation printed from the internet e.g. internet bank statements. Information on which documents are acceptable for a DBS check is available at https://www.gov.uk/disclosure-barring-service-check/documents-the-applicant-must-provide-.
- You must now attend an Identification Verification Session with your three documents and these are normally held throughout the academic year every Monday and Wednesday 13:00-15:00hrs in the Allerton Building. Please report to the Allerton Building Reception and they will give you a ticket to secure your place in the queue and inform you which room it is being held in.
- At the Identification Verification Session you will be asked to complete a Criminal Convictions Declaration form. If you complete a positive declaration the information will have to be considered at a School Student Vetting Panel. According to the information you supply on your offence(s) it is the Panel who will decide if you can commence on the programme.
- Immediately after the Identification Verification session you will receive another email from firstname.lastname@example.org entitled “Completing your DBS application”. This details the link and the username and password for you to log back onto your application to complete the personal information section of the form e.g. 5 year address history. When you log onto your application you will have to answer the security question from the Identification Verification Session and also two further security questions based on the documents used to prove your identity, therefore have these documents to hand.
- When completing the form please note only fields marked with an asterisk (*) are mandatory. On completion of the form it is submitted to the DBS electronically for processing.
- On completion of processing you will receive a DBS Enhanced Certificate in the post. Please retain your Enhanced Certificate as you may be required to show it when you commence University, or whilst you are on placement.
If you are a member of staff requiring DBS clearance please contact Human Resources. If you are a student who requires DBS clearance for a placement please contact the Regulatory Body Education Manager at email@example.com. You will need to provide details of the placement to ensure you engage in regulated activity.