Theatre - PAOP 10
|Placement Title||Theatre - PAOP 10|
|Your Placement Contact||Linda O'Grady, Rachel Lees - Send Email|
|Placement Contact's Role||
|Placement Address||Royal Oldham Hospital, Rochdale Rd, Oldham, OL1 2JH|
|Placement Phone||0161 627 8827|
|Your University Contact:||Jennifer Klunder - Send Email|
About this placement
What is organised for students on commencement of placement?
Students are welcomed with a letter and orientation package.
They have four days to observe all areas of theatre and the different roles undertaken by the theatre staff. They choose (with guidance) a theatre discipline to concentrate on mainly throughout their placement and then a Mentor is assigned to them.
They also experience the other two theatre disciplines within their allotted placement time.
They undertake a recovery / escort training programme if they are in their second year, preparing them for their third year when they undertake escorting patients from recovery.
They visit departments and wards associated with theatre practice to enhance their knowledge of patient care and assessment.
What are the arrangements for mentors/assessors?
Once a Mentor / Assessor has been assigned to the Student they conduct preliminary interviews to discuss their theatre placement. They complete the assignment documentation mid term or at the end of the placement whichever is appropriate.
What shift patterns are students allocated for learning?
Theatre operating lists are during the hours of 9 - 5.
Student's off duty is as follows:
- 8 - 5
- 8 - 1
- 1 - 9
Emergencies are undertaken between the hours of 5pm - 8am.
Students experience these operations working 5 - 9 / on night duty.
What patient care situations are available in this placement?
Surgical specialities undertaken are:
- Elective: General surgery, gynaecology, urology, ENT, trauma, orthopaedics, hand and reconstruction surgery & obstetrics.
- Emergencies of all specialities identified above.
- Anaesthetics, Scrub and Recovery nursing is undertaken in all specialities.
What nursing model is used for planning care?
The Patient Care Plan is a combination of the Logan & Tierney Model and others.
What core clinical skills can be learnt?
- Caring for the Peri-Operative Patient
- Reception: checking in of patients.
- Anaesthetics, Scrub & Recovery Nursing
- Pain Management
- Patient Advocacy. Consent, Documentation
- Checking of equipment / Usage & principles.
What additional clinical skills can be learnt?
What resources are available to help students learning?
- Theatre Seminar Room - Videos, Books, Articles, Journals
- Audit Sessions for lectures
- Individual & Group tutorial sessions
- Internal & External Study days on theatre issues.
What research and practice development activities are being undertaken?
- Audits on theatre issues
- Relevant articles
- Research & development Representative form Trust R&D Group.
If you are pregnant, please contact the University Placements Unit as soon as possible as you will not be accepted for a placement in this area.
Philosophy of Care
Enclosed in the Orientation Pack.