Coniston Ward - GMWP 52
|Placement Title||Coniston Ward - GMWP 52|
|Your Placement Contact||Francis Ukpebor - Send Email|
|Placement Contact's Role|
|Placement Address||Prestwich Hospital, Bury New Rd, Prestwich, M25 3BL|
|Placement Phone||0161 358 2064|
|Your University Contact:||Kate Doyle - Send Email|
About this placement
What is organised for students on commencement of placement?
- Service - Security induction
- Mentor - Link nurse allocation - Introduction
- Student handbook - Operational Policy - Clinical Placement Orientation
Students have supernumerary status, however are encouraged to participate in clinical activities under the direct supervision of the mentor or supervisor.
What are the arrangements for mentors/assessors?
- EMB 998
- Prep for mentorship
- Associate mentorship courses and updates
- Student link nurse
- Link nurse co-ordinator
- University link
- Clinical/managerial supervision
In order for students to gain maximum benefit from this clinical practice placement, all ward-based nurses [including those who are not mentor trained] are encouraged to actively involve students in the delivery of patient care and treatment.
What shift patterns are students allocated for learning?
7.00 am - 3.00 pm
1.00 pm - 9.00 pm
8.45 p.m. - 7.15 a.m.
Student off-duty rotas are to be planned and students are expected to work with their mentor for a minimum of three out of five shifts (RCN 2002).
What patient care situations are available in this placement?
- Primary nursing
- Care Programmed Approach
- Mental Health Act Complex
- Challenging needs
- Personality Disorder
- Therapeutic relationship
- Holistic [bio - psycho - social] Care
What nursing model is used for planning care?
Health care model [Hodge] bio / psycho / social / political
What core clinical skills can be learnt?
What additional clinical skills can be learnt?
- Co ordination
- Communication [IT - written - verbal]
- Medication administration oral - depot
- Time management1:1 sessions
- Group sessions
- MDT approach
- Risk management
- Boundary setting
- De-escalation techniques
- Therapeutic risk taking
- AssessmentCare planning implementation
- CPA reviews
What resources are available to help students learning?
- Associate Mentors
- Student resource room
- Onion model
- PBL trigger folders
- Desktop folders
- Assessment tools
- Psychosocial interventions folders
- Practice Nurse
- Evidence Based Practice
- Mental Health Act
- Notice boards
What research and practice development activities are being undertaken?
- Structured day
- Psychosocial Interventions
- Motivational interviewing
- START - risk assessment
- Student development topics
- World Model
- Reflection Models
- Clinical - Managerial Supervision
- Spoke placements Wards including Borrowdale
- Occupational Therapy
- Duty manager
- Charles House, HMP Manchester
- Clozaril Clinic
- Kenyon House
If you are pregnant, please contact the University Placements Unit as soon as possible as you will not be accepted for a placement in this area.
Coniston Ward offers a medium secure, forensic assessment and treatment service.
The majority of patients are subject to sections of the Mental Health Act (1983), and very occasionally informal.
Patients are admitted to Coniston Ward from a number of areas including Prisons, Special Hospitals, internal transfers from other wards within the Service, low secure hospitals and occasionally patients who are recalled from the community as part of the function of their restriction order.
The aim of the ward is to provide individualized care, using the appropriate skills and expertise of the staff group to:
- Assist the individual to regain the best level of mental health
- Assess the risk to the patient and others
- Offer input to patients with particular specialist needs
- Reduce the risk of repeat offending
- Assist the individual to move to the most appropriate placement in the future
Patients and whenever appropriate, their families and significant others, are very much involved in their programme of care.
The maintenance and development of appropriate links outside of the unit are promoted whenever possible.