Dr Ian Goodhead
Lecturer in Infectious Diseases
After completing my undergraduate undergraduate degree at the University of Keele in 2001, I moved to Cambridge, where I worked at the Wellcome Trust Sanger Institute for a number of years. Initially sequencing and finishing bacterial and parasite genomes important in human and veterinary health, I moved onto the implementation of new sequencing technologies, some of which are now mainstream. I left Cambridge in 2007 to undertake a PhD at the University of Liverpool in the molecular genetics and host/parasite interaction of Trypanosoma brucei – a protozoan parasite responsible for “Sleeping Sickness” in sub-Saharan Africa. After some postdoctoral research into bacterial endosymbiosis in the same system, within the vector of the African Trypanosome – the Tsetse fly – I moved to Salford in 2015 to take up a lectureship position where I am establishing a research group spanning molecular microbiology and infectious disease biology.
Teaching: My teaching is currently aimed at all levels, covering various aspects of fundamental biology at all levels, and supervise final year research projects. I also teach Genomics and Microbiology on a number of programmes across ELS, including “Molecules to Microbes”, “Parasites and Vectors”, “Microorganisms in Action” and “Medical Biotechnology”. From 2016 I will lead and contribute to a new programme of Final Year microbiology.
My research has focused on the utilisation of next generation sequencing (NGS) technologies to better understand microbial pathogenesis, infection, host/pathogen interaction and the evolution of symbiosis. My recent research interests involve combining multiple “‘omics” strategies, including genomics, transcriptomics, proteomics and metabolomics, to elucidate the genomic architecture of endosymbionts in the context of attenuating pathogenesis and evolving alongside their insect hosts.
Qualifications and Memberships
Qualifications and Memberships:
BSc (Hons) – Keele University (2001)
PhD – University of Liverpool (2011)
The Microbiology Society
For a full list, please visit Google Scholar at: https://scholar.google.co.uk/citations?user=J1fFsUkAAAAJ&hl=en
- Goodhead, I. & Darby, A. C. Taking the pseudo out of pseudogenes. Curr. Opin. Microbiol. 23, 102–109 (2015). ¿
- Ilott NE, Heward, JA., Roux B, Tsitsiou E, Fenwick PS, Lenzi L, Goodhead I, Hertz-Fowler C, Heger A, Hall N, Donnelly LE, Dims D & Lindsay MA. Long non-coding RNAs and enhancer RNAs regulate the lipopolysaccharide-induced inflammatory response in human monocytes. Nature Commun. 5:3979 doi: 10.1038/ncomms4979 (2014). ¿
- Goodhead I, Capewell P, Bailey JW, Beament T, Chance M, Kay S, Forrester S, MacLeod A, Taylor M, Noyes H, Hall N. 2013. Whole-genome sequencing of Trypanosoma brucei reveals introgression between subspecies that is associated with virulence. mBio 4(4):e00197-13. ¿
- Scally A, Dutheil JY, Hillier LW, Jordan GE, Goodhead I, Herrero J, Hobolth A, Lappalainen T, Mailund T, Marques-Bonet T, McCarthy S, Montgomery SH, Schwalie PC, Tang YA, Ward MC, Xue Y, Yngvadottir B, Alkan C, Andersen LN, Ayub Q, Ball EV, Beal K, Bradley BJ, Chen Y, Clee CM, Fitzgerald S, Graves TA, Gu Y, Heath P, Heger A, Karakoc E, Kolb-Kokocinski A, Laird GK, Lunter G, Meader S, Mort M, Mullikin JC, Munch K, O/'Connor TD, Phillips AD, Prado-Martinez J, Rogers AS, Sajjadian S, Schmidt D, Shaw K, Simpson JT, Stenson PD, Turner DJ, Vigilant L, Vilella AJ, Whitener W, Zhu B, Cooper DN, de Jong P, Dermitzakis ET, Eichler EE, Flicek P, Goldman N, Mundy NI, Ning Z, Odom DT, Ponting CP, Quail MA, Ryder OA, Searle SM, Warren WC, Wilson RK, Schierup MH, Rogers J, Tyler-Smith C, Durbin R (2012) Insights into hominid evolution from the gorilla genome sequence. Nature 483: 169-175. ¿
- Goodhead I, Archibald A, Amwayi P, Brass A, Gibson J, Hall N, Hughes MA, Limo M, Iraqi F, Kemp SJ, Noyes HA. A comprehensive genetic analysis of candidate genes regulating response to Trypanosoma congolense infection in mice. PLoS Negl Trop Dis. 2010 Nov 9;4(11):e880. ¿
- Wilhelm BT, Marguerat S, Goodhead I, Bähler J. Defining transcribed regions using RNA-seq. Nature Protoc. 010;5(2):255-66. Epub 2010 Jan 21. ¿
- Liti G, Carter DM, Moses AM, Warringer J, Parts L, James SA, Davey RP, Roberts IN, Burt A, Koufopanou V, Tsai IJ, Bergman CM, Bensasson D, O'Kelly MJ, van Oudenaarden A, Barton DB, Bailes E, Nguyen AN, Jones M, Quail MA, Goodhead I, Sims S, Smith F, Blomberg A, Durbin R, Louis EJ. Population genomics of domestic and wild yeasts. Nature. 2009 Mar 19;458(7236): 337-41. Epub 2009 Feb 11
- Holt KE, Parkhill J, Mazzoni CJ, Roumagnac P, Weill FX, Goodhead I, Rance R, Baker S, Maskell DJ, Wain J, Dolecek C, Achtman M, Dougan G. High-throughput sequencing provides insights into genome variation and evolution in Salmonella Typhi . Nature Genet. 2008 Aug;40(8): 987-93. Epub 2008 Jul 27. ¿