Dr Andy Clarke
Lecturer in Science Enterprise
Please contact me via e-mail for an appointment
I graduated from the University of Nottingham in 1996 with a BEng (Hons) degree in Mechanical Design, Materials and Manufacture. In 1999 I moved to Manchester and completed the MSc in Metallic and Ceramic Materials at the University of Manchester, and in 2003 a PhD in Metallurgy and Materials Science at UMIST.
I then moved to Sheffield and worked in the steel industry as a consultant, during which time I completed an MBA in Industrial Management at Sheffield Hallam University. I returned to academia in 2007 where I have worked at the Universities of Manchester, Lancaster and Salford in Business Development; I took a lectureship in Science Enterprise in August 2016 at the University of Salford.
I teach on programmes across the School of Environment & Life Sciences focusing on the business and commercial issues relating to the sciences. I develop and deliver enterprise and entrepreneurship taught content at both undergraduate and postgraduate levels, providing the business context to students' academic studies. I aim to offer science students an appreciation of how their work fits in a business environment, whether that is a new business start-up or a large corporation, and how financial decisions can affect the science that they undertake.
My research includes a study of incentives to engage from the perspectives of academia and industry. I am interested in the reasons why people do things, and specifically the interaction between academia and industry. I am also interested in exploring the cultural enablers which support science and industry interaction and engagement.
Qualifications and Memberships
- 2016 University of Salford: Postgraduate Certificate in Academic Practice
- 2007 Sheffield Hallam University: MBA Industrial Management
- 2003 UMIST: Ph.D. in Metallurgy and Materials Science
- 2000 University of Manchester: M.Sc. in Metallic and Ceramic Materials
- 1999 University of Nottingham: B.Eng.(Hons) in Mechanical Design, Materials and Manufacture
- Fellow of the Higher Education Academy – awarded March 2016
- Fellow of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers – awarded Sept 2010
- Chartered Engineer – awarded Sept 2010
- Professional Graduate Member of the Institute of Materials, Minerals and Mining
- Graduate Member of the Royal Aeronautical Society
- Member of the Sheffield Metallurgical and Engineering Association (SMEA)
- Member of the Institute of Metal-finishing Technologies (IMfT)
- Clarke A.P., Deacon, J.C., McAdam R., Davies J., & Flanagan J. (2016). LUCID: a relationship window to enhance university / industry knowledge exchange. Engage HEI Conference, Engaged Scholarship: impact, policy and practice, Preston, U.K.
- Clarke A.P., Warburton J., Turner J., Adams L., Camm A. and Morton, K. (2016). Community involvement in University of Salford boot camps: a case study. Engage HEI Conference, Engaged Scholarship: impact, policy and practice, Preston, U.K.
- Clarke A.P., Flanagan J. and Davies J. (2015). An investigation into the drivers for the delivery of academic consultancy services. Institute of Small Business and Entrepreneurship Conference, Glasgow, U.K.
- Clarke A.P. and Davies J. (2014). Academic involvement in the delivery of Continuous Professional Development: why should they bother? Institute of Small Business and Entrepreneurship Conference, Manchester, U.K.
- Roberts J.W. and Clarke A.P. (2010). Nuclear Liaison and Nuclear Liaison TV (NLTV) – Using digital media to support nuclear education, Nuclear Future, 6(1)
- Roberts J.W. and Clarke A.P. (2010). The Nuclear Technology Education Consortium: An innovative successful approach to nuclear education and training in the UK, International Conference on Human Resource Development for Introducing and Expanding Nuclear Power Programmes, Abu Dhabi
- Clarke A.P., Humphreys F.J. and Bate P.S. (2003). Lattice rotations at large second-phase particles in polycrystalline aluminium, Materials Science Forum, vols. 426-432 pp. 399-404
- Gholinia A., Clarke A.P. and Pragnell P.B. (2001), The effect of continuous and discontinuous recrystallization on the tensile properties of a severely deformed Al-Mg-Mn alloy, Recrystallization and Grain Growth, Proceedings of the First Joint International Conference, August 27-31, 2001 RWTH, Aachen, Germany, Eds. G Gottstein and DA Molodov, Berlin pp. 1273-1278