MSc/PgDip Accounting and Finance
- Part-time study available
- Alternative start dates available
- International students can apply
- Based at MediaCityUK
- Work placement opportunity
The course will be delivered using two three-day intensive blocks. Each module will be completed within six weeks.
Lecture and tutorials serve as the principal teaching method.
Tutorials serve as an opportunity to reflect on the lecture material and generally assist the learning process through discussion and group work.
The dissertation elements offer a further opportunity for you to apply your knowledge and skills in a less structured environment.
Taught modules which are delivered during semester 1 will adopt the conventional pattern of lecture and seminar to instil a learning framework and will use examinations, multiple choice tests and course work for assessing your performance. Modules taught during semester 2 will tend to adopt a more problem-based learning approach to learning and assessment.
Assessment strategy consists of:
- Examinations involving discursive essay topics, problem case studies, or a combination
- Continuous assessment through assignments, small scale problem solving and multiple choice exercises
- Group or individual project work, including elements of the dissertation
- Personal portfolio development through log-books.
We have a dedicated teaching team which draws together the expertise of the staff with professional qualifications, and those with a variety of corporate sector and public sector backgrounds. The team mainly include the following members:
- Hussein Abdou BCom, PhD, PGCE
- Glen Arnold BSc. Econ. (Hons); PhD (Loughborough)
- Mike Coulburn BSc (Hons), MSc
- John Davenport BSc (Hons), PhD (Manchester), FCCA, PGCE, AHEA
- Nazam Dzolkarnaini BCom (1st Class Hons), MSc (Distinction), PhD (Stirling), PGCHEPR, ACA(NZ), CFP
- Roland Fox MSc (Econ), ACMA
- Stacey Gurrie BBS (Hons), MBS (Finance – Hons), QFA
- Jia Liu BSc (Hons), MSc (Beijing), Ph.D (Birmingham), PGCE
- Rafique Muhammad B.Com, MRes, FCCA
- Jacinta Nwachukwu MBA, MSc, PhD (Lancaster)
- Timothy Rutt MBA, FCCA, PMI, PGCE
- Kathy Spencer BSc (Hons), PGCE, ACA, MRes
Dr Jia Liu
Course leader of MSc Accounting and Finance, Senior lecturer in Finance
Jia is an Executive Committee member of The British Accounting and Finance Association (BAFA), and the Chair of the Executive Committee of the BAFA Northern Region. She also holds memberships in various academic associations.
She researches in mainstream finance and accounting, with a focus on corporate finance and governance as well as market-based accounting research. She has published referred papers in international journals. She has organised conferences, such as the British Accounting and Finance Association NAG Annual Conference, and special sessions and symposiums for the conferences.
Her teaching responsibilities include the modules:
- Accounting and Finance
- Corporate Financial Strategies
Please visit the website for the detailed profile of our teaching team.