Petroleum and Gas Engineering Facilities
The Petroleum and Gas Division has three well equipped laboratories for teaching and learning of the fundamentals of Petroleum and Gas Engineering. They are also used for postgraduate research and industrial consultancy work.
The facilities, including the new Advanced Petrol and Fracking Lab and Spray Research Group Lab benefit students studying BSc (Hons) Petroleum and Mechanical Engineering, MSc Gas Engineering and Management, MSc Industrial and Commercial Combustion Engineering and MSc Petroleum and Gas Engineering.
They are also focal points for research work in the Sprays, Petroleum and Gas Engineering research group.
Spray Research Group Lab
The £1 million Spray Lab will provide new facilities with high-tech laser equipment for undergraduate and postgraduate courses in Petroleum and Gas Engineering and in petroleum research.
Work on the new lab begin in early June 2014 and is expected to be complete in July.
Spray Research Group Laboratory
The Spray Research Group (SRG) has an equipped laboratory for the analysis of sprays and fluid flow, with such equipment as:
- Phase Doppler Anemometry (PDA)
- Particle Image Velocimetry (PIV)
- Malvern Mastersizer
- Pulse photonics
- High speed Cameras
- Hot Wire Anemometry
- Computational Fluid Dynamics
For the in-house manufacture of component parts the facility also has:
- 3-axis CNC Milling machine
Petroleum and Combustion Engineering Lab
This £2million laboratory will provide new facilities for undergraduate and postgraduate teachingand research within the School of Computing, Science & Engineering.
Work will begin on this new facility in March 2014 and is expected to complete in Aug 2014.
Petroleum and Gas Laboratory
- Drilling fluid characterisation equipment
- Vapour pressure (SetVap)
- Interfacial Tension (IFT) Measurement
- Gas chromatograph
- Boys non recording calorimeter
- Pressure gauge calibration (dead weight tester)
- Combustion gas analysis equipment
- Fusion Welding equipment
- Small domestic meter calibration rig
- Simmance Bell (relative density)
- Gas metering chamber
Computer Simulation Laboratory
The Petroleum and Gas Division has a well equipped computer laboratory with the latest computational packages that are used in industry for the analysis of petroleum and gas scenarios:
- Schlumberger (Pipesim, OFM, Petrel, Eclipse)
- Petroleum Experts (IPM Suite)
- KAPPA (Ecrin v4.12.07, Emeraude v2.60.05)
- SMT KINGDOM (SMT Suite)
- STREAMsim Technologies (Studio SL, 3DSL, FloodOPT)
- NEOTEC SPT GROUP (OLGA WELLFLO, PIPEFLO, FORGAS DRILLBENCH)
- Senergy (INTERACTIVE PETROPHYSICS);
- Fekete (WELLTEST)
- Baker Hughes (MFRAC)