We strongly recommend the optional placement year. Although not a compulsory part of your course, the placement year is an invaluable addition to your academic studies:
- Placements can provide valuable and interesting experience in a real engineering environment
- An overseas placement lets you experience a different culture and, perhaps, language
- A year's work experience improves your employability after graduation, and, in some cases, the placement company offers sponsorship during the final year and a job on graduation.
- Placements can contribute to the training requirements for Chartered Engineer status
Past students have been placed with a wide variety of companies:
- Aerospace: BAE Systems; Lockheed Martin; Rolls Royce Aero-Engines; Airbus; British Airways.
- Automotive: Vauxhall; Rover; Porsche; Michelin Tyres; Perkins Engines (Diesels).
- Construction: Mott MacDonald; W S Atkins; Halcrow Group; Carillion; Costain Group.
- Oil and Energy: Shell Exploration (Aberdeen); Esso; BP; Powergen; BNFL.
- Other: Renolds Gears; Chloride Motive Power (batteries); Osram (light bulbs); Henrob (self-piercing riveters); British Steel