Director of Computer Science and Software Engineering
- Newton Building Room 214
- T: +44 (0)161 295 2932
- E: email@example.com
- SEEK: Research profile
“Please contact me via email for an appointment”
I am an experienced researcher and developer of virtual environments and their associated systems, with a background in both commercial development and academic research and development. For the last 13 years I have worked for the University of Salford; first as a Research Fellow and Senior Research Fellow and in more recent years (since 2006) as a Lecturer and Senior Lecturer. In this time I have undertaken research into applications of Virtual Reality to support Design and Construction, as part of the EU funded Divercity project, for which I was a workpackage leader, and the Intelcity/Intelcities EU funded Integrated Project. Research themes and publications, published in both journals and conference proceedings, have included specific applications of VR, such as architectural design and simulation, large scale system architectures, and investigations in to intuitive interfaces and display systems, 3D reconstruction of people, with additional technology reports and presentations for funding bodies and special interest groups. Before joining the University of Salford I was employed as a VR application developer and manager within the commercial sector, designing, developing and implementing VR simulation systems for sectors including military simulation, medical simulation and visualisation and engineering. Current research is primarily focused on the 3D interactive visualisation of medical data and 3D reconstruction of people. This has been undertaken as part of the University’s enterprise activity, working with external clients to address their specific application needs. This work has lead to the specific challenges that this research will seek to address.
Virtual Reality/Virtual Environments
3D Computer Graphics
Interactive Data Visualization
- Estimating the gaze of a virtuality human. Roberts, D. J., Rae, J., Duckworth, T., Moore, C., Aspin, R. IEEE Transactions on Visualisation and Computer Graphics 2013 19(4):681-90
- Estimating the gaze of a virtuality human. Roberts, D. J., Rae, J., Duckworth, T., Moore, C., Aspin, R. IEEE Virtual Reality (conf) 2013
- A profile of the future: what could HTML 5 do for HE by 2015. Griffiths, L. Ogden, R. & Aspin, R. ALT-C 2012
- "ENER-Gville" Bowden S. & Aspin R. Retofit 2012
- A GPU based, projective multi-texturing approach to reconstructing the 3D human form for application in tele-presence, Rob Aspin, Dave Roberts CSCW 2011
- An exploration of non-tessellated 3D space carving for real-time 3D reconstruction of a person through a simulated process - Rob Aspin, David Roberts (University of Salford) CVMP 2010
- Synchronisation of Images from Multiple Cameras to Reconstruct a Moving Human
- Carl Moore, Toby Duckworth, Rob Aspin, David Roberts DS-RT 2010
- Rob Aspin, Matt Smith, M. A. Nazar, Charles Hutchinson, Len Funk: MediVol: A Practical Initial Evaluation of Refined, 3D, Interactive Volumetric Representations of Soft Tissue Pathologies in Virtual Environments. DS-RT 2009: 73-81
- D. Roberts, R. Wolff, J. Rae, A. Steed, R. Aspin, M. McIntyre, A. Pena, O. Oyekoya, and W. Steptoe, Communicating Eye-gaze Across a Distance: Comparing an Eye-gaze enabled Immersive Collaborative Virtual Environment, Aligned Video Conferencing, and Being Together, in IEEE Virtual Reality 2009.
- Rob Aspin, Matt Smith, Charles Hutchinson & Len Funk. “MediVol: An Initial Study into Real-time, Interactive 3D Visualisation of Soft Tissue Pathologies”, IEEE & ACM DS-RT 2008, Vancouver, Canada.
- Rob Aspin, “An initial study into augmented inward looking exploration and navigation in CAVE-like IPT systems”, IEEE VR Conference, March 2008.
- Dave Roberts, Rob Aspin, Damien Marshall, Seamus Mcloone, Declan Delaney, Tomas Ward , Bounding Inconsistency using a novel threshold metric for dead reckoning update packet generation, Transactions of The Society for Modeling and Simulation International, Vol 84, No 5, May 2008, pp 239 – 256.
- Rob Aspin, “A Plausible Lightweight Dirt Model For Application in Real-time 3D Environments”, Journal of Architectural Engineering and Design Management, Vol 3, Issue 3, 2007.
- Rob Aspin, “Supporting collaboration, in co-located 3D visualisation, through the use of remote personal interfaces, Journal of Computing in Civil Engineering”, ASCE, Vol 21 Issue 6, Nov-Dec 2007.
- Rob Aspin, Kien Hoang Le, “Augmenting the CAVE: An initial study into close focused, inward looking, exploration in IPT systems”, IEEE DS-RT 2007, Chania, Crete.
- Dave Roberts, Damien Marshall, Rob Aspin, Seamus McLoone, Declan Delaney, Tomas Ward, (2005), “Exploring the use of local consistency measures as thresholds for dead reckoning update packet generation”, 9th IEEE ACM Int. Symposium on Distributed Simulation and Real Time
- Rob Aspin, David J Roberts, (2005), “A Model for Distributed, Co-Located Interaction in Urban Design/Review Visualisation.”, Proceedings of the Ninth IEEE International Symposium on Distributed Simulation and Real-Time Applications
- Rob Aspin, Terrence Fernando, (2003), “A Multi-Perspective Virtual Environment Application Framework for Conceptual Design in the Building Construction Industry.” , Proceedings of the International Conference on Coordinated & Multiple Views in Exploratory Visualization 2003
- Rob Aspin,Terrence Fernando, (2002), “Evaluating the use of VR as a tool for briefing clients.” , Proceedings of the 6th International Conference on Information Visualisation
- Rob Aspin,Terrence Fernando, (2002), “Virtual environments for the AEC sector.” , e2002 Conference: eWork and eBusiness 2002
- Rob Aspin,Tawfik, H,Terrence Fernando, (2002), “An Interactive 3D Visualisation and Analysis Application for the Development and Communication of Abstract Conceptual Building Design.” , Proceedings of the 3rd International Conference on Decision Making in Urban and Civil Engineering (DMinUCE)
- Tawfik, H, Rob Aspin, Terrence Fernando, (2002), “A simulation tool for multi-perspective site layout analysis” , Proceedings of the IFIP WG 3.3 Working Conference “Human-Computer Interaction and Educational Tools’’ (ECPPM 2002)
- Rob Aspin, Terrence Fernando, (2002), “Development and Exploration of Conceptual Building Function-to-Form Relationships” , Proceedings of the IFIP WG 3.3 Working Conference “Human-Computer Interaction and Educational Tools’’ (ECPPM 2002)
- Rob Aspin, DaDalto, L.,Terrence Fernando,Gobbetti, E,Marache, M,Shelbourn, M,Soubra, S, (2001), “A conceptual framework for multi-modal interactive virtual workspace” , Electronic Journal of Information Technology in Construction
- Brna, P. & Aspin, R., "Collaboration in a virtual world: support for conceptual learning?", Education And Information Technologies, 3:247-259, September 1998.
- Brna, P. and Aspin, R., "Collaboration in a Virtual World: Support for Conceptual Learning?", In Dicheva, D. and Stanchev, I. (eds.) Proceedings of the IFIP WG 3.3 Working Conference "Human-Computer Interaction and Educational Tools'', pp113-123. Sophia: VirTech.
- Brna, P. and Aspin, R., "Conceptual Learning in the Virtual Classroom." Talk given at Virtual Reality & Educational Technology 97 Loughborough June 1997. VRET 97
- Paul Brna & Rob Aspin, "Collaboration in a Virtual World: Support for Conceptual Learning?", Avatars'98
- Paul Brna, & Rob Aspin,, "Collaboration in a Virtual World: Support for Conceptual Learning?", HCIET, Sozopol, Bulgaria, 1997