- Newton Building Room LG13
- T: +44 (0)161 295 4498
- E: email@example.com
- SEEK: Research profile
“Please contact me via email for an appointment”
I graduated in Mathematics from University of Warwick.
After short spells in operational research and project management, I joined the County Engineers Department of Merseyside County Council to work in the research and analysis section, focusing on traffic analysis and road safety studies.
I left Merseyside to take on the post of lecturer at the University of Salford in 1985. I became programme leader for the MSc in Transport Engineering and Planning in 1992 and was promoted to senior lecturer in 1996.
I contributed to the development of the transport profession at national and regional level including being Chair of the NW region of CIHT 2005-2006.
I acted as external examiner to MSc programmes (at Leeds and Southbank) and for research PhDs.
Contributions to the following modules:
Level 5 Highway Design
Level 6 Airport Design Operation and Management S3.1
Level 7(MSc) Transport Engineering: Principles and Methodologies
Level 7(MSc) Transport Planning : Policy and Principles
Level 7 (MSc) Traffic Engineering: Analysis and Road Safety
Level 7 (MSc) Transport Planning: Forecasting and Appraisal
Transport dissertations at final year and MSc level
Current PhD supervisions:
Candidate: Firas Asad (started 2009; supervisor)
Topic: Trip Generation Characteristics in City Centre Developments
Candidate: Mohamed Alterawi (started 2011; co-supervisor)
Topic: Micro-simulation of Shuttle lane Working
Candidate: Andrew Binder (started 2012; supervisor)
Topic: Transport choice, accessibility and modal shift – constraints on achieving a travel plan target at a new development: Media City UK
Qualifications and Memberships
BA (Hons) 1st class: Mathematics: University of Warwick
MSc Transport Engineering: University of Salford
Member of the Chartered Institution of Highways and Transportation
- Yousif, S., Al-Obaedi, J. and Henson, R. R. (2012) Drivers' lane utilization for UK motorways, Journal of Transportation Engineering (under review)
- Yousif, S., Alterawi, M. and Henson, R. R. (2012) The effect of road narrowing on junction capacity using microsimulation, Journal of Transportation Engineering (under review)
- Boyle, D and Henson, R R (2004) A Road Safety Engineering Policy Review – Putting Research into Practice Proceedings of Second UK Transport Practitioners Meeting, Aston University, Birmingham UK July 2004
- Henson, R R and Essex, S (2003) The development, design and evaluation of local transport networks International Social Science Journal 176 Vol LV, No2, 219 – 233
- Henson, R R and Ellis E (2002) Establishing Statistical Models to Predict the Number of Multiple Vehicle Accidents for Districts in Greater Manchester Safety on Roads Second International Conference on Road Safety University of Bahrain, October 2002