Dr Omar Alani
- Newton Building Room 207
- T: +44 (0)161 295 3712
- E: firstname.lastname@example.org
- SEEK: Research profile
“Please contact me via email for an appointment”
I received the BSc degree in Electrical Engineering in 1991 and the MPhil and PhD in Telecommunication Engineering from the De Montfort University, UK in 2005. I worked as a Research Assistant in the School of Engineering and Technology at the De Montfort University. After obtaining my PhD I worked as a Lecturer of Communication at De Montfort University. After that I joined the Institute of Advanced Telecommunications, University of Wales, Swansea. Then I worked with the School of Electronic and Electrical Engineering, University of Leeds, as a Research Fellow in the wireless communication field. I am currently Lecturer of Telecommunications at the University of Salford.
I have taught many modules at different universities, including mobile communication, data communication & computer networks and project management.
My research interests include Radio Resource Management and mobility management in Next Generation Networks and Mobile Communications, LTE, Cognitive Radio, Planning, Modelling and Optimisation of Wireless Networks, as well as QoS in Heterogeneous Networks. Also I have a special interest in Green ICT or Sustainable Wireless Networks as well as ad hoc and sensor networks.
Qualifications and Memberships
Fellow of The Higher Education Academy, August 2011 Institution of Engineering & Technology ( IET) Member of editorial board for the International Journal of Mobile communication, Inderscience publishers, since December, 2007 Member of editorial board for International Journal of Nanoelectronics and Materials Technical reviewer for many journals and conferences including IET communication journal and Electronic letters.
- M. Alchaita and O. Alani “Anonymous Addressing Servers: a Solution of Failures in Wireless Mobile Location Service”, International Journal of Ad Hoc and Ubiquitous Vol. 5, Issue 1, 2010, pp.37-43.
- O. Daoud and O. Alani, "MIMO-OFDM -Based Robotic Mobile System performance analysis", the International Journal of interactive Mobile, iJIM; Volume 3, Special Issue 2: Technical Basics, October 2009. pp12-17.
- O. Daoud and O. Alani, "PAPR Reduction by Linear Coding Techniques for MIMO-OFDM Systems Performance Improvement: Simulation and Hardware Implementation” The European Journal of Scientific Research, Volume 36 Issue 3, October 2009, pp.376-393.
- O. Daoud and O. Alani, "Reducing PAPR by utilization of LDPC code ", IET Communication Proceedings, vol. 3, Issue 4, April 2009, pp. 520-529.
- Ángela A. de Grado Vivero, Omar Y.K. Alani, and J.M.H Elmirghani “Indoor Airport Radio Over Fibre Network Traffic Model and Performance Analysis Using Load Balancing Techniques”, Journal of Optical Networking, Vol. 8, No. 3, March 2009, pp.272–283.
- O. Daoud and O. Alani, "Peak to Average Power Ratio Reduction Technique for MIMO/OFDM Systems", International Journal of Mobile Communications Vol. 7, No. 6, 2009, pp.632–645.
- Omar Alani and Rashid Mehmood “Multi-component multimedia resource optimisation for 3G and beyond”, Int. J. Internet Protocol Technology , Vol. 4, No. 1, 2009, pp.4-10.
- Omar Alani “Adaptive Multi-component Service Model for WCDMA Systems” International Journal of Mobile Communications, Vol. 6, No. 6, 2008, pp.667–682.
- Omar Alani “Service Model and Resource Allocation Scheme for Multimedia Traffic in 3G Wireless Systems”, International Journal of Mobile Communications, Vol. 5, No. 6, 2007, pp.677–691.
- O. Alani, M. Al-Akaidi and J. Ivins " Call Admission Control for Multitier Networks with Integrated Voice and Data Services”, Int. J. Mobile Communications, Vol. 5, No. 5, 2007, pp.540–55.
- O. Alani and M. Al-Akaidi and S. Linfoot "Performance Evaluation of DVB-RCT Return Path in Fading Channels with Added Diversity ", IEEE Transaction on Consumer Electronics, Vol.52, No.2, May, 2006, pp.377–382.
- O. Alani, and H. Ali "Power control scheme to combat cell breathing phenomenon in 3G mobile networks”, International Journal of Mobile Network Design and Innovation Vol. 1, Nos. 3/4, 2006, pp.234–239.
- O. Anoh and O. Alani “Effect of Network Traffic Density on Energy Performance of Data Centre”, 12th Annual Postgraduate Symposium on Convergence of Telecommunications, Networking and Broadcasting (PGNet 2011), Liverpool, June 2011
- Omar Alani and Mohamed Aziz “Dynamic WCDMA System Proposal for QoS in Multimedia Networks” the IEEE symposium on Computers and Communications, Italy, June, 2010.
- Omar Alani, Omar Daoud & Ibrahim N. Abu-Isbeih," Coverage Planning In 3G Multimedia Networks Based On Walsh Coding," 7th International Multi-Conference on Systems, Signals & Devices, SSD'10, Amman, Jordan, 27-30 June 2010.
- Omar Alani and Jaafar Elmirghani “Teletraffic Model for Indoor Wireless Communication Network” IEEE Third International Conference on Next Generation Mobile Applications, Services, and Technologies (NGMAST'09), Cardiff, September, 2009, pp.165–170.
- O. Daoud and O. Alani “MIMO-OFDM System's Performance Using LDPC Codes for a Mobile Robot” The First International Conference on Communications Infrastructure, Systems and Applications in Europe (EuropeComm 2009), London, August 2009.
- Bilal R. Qazi, Ángela A. de Grado Vivero, Omar Y.K. Alani and Jaafar M. H. Elmirghani, "Pico Cellular MAC Protocol for Multimedia Communication", to appear in Proceedings of the Fifth International Symposium on Frontiers of Information Systems and Network Applications (FINA 2009), Bradford, UK, May 26-29, 2009.
- Omar Alani and Jaafar Elmirghani “Mix Queues Approach for Indoor Network Traffic Modelling” The Fifth International Conference on Networking and Services ICNS '09, Spain, April, 2009, Page(s):438 - 443.
- Bilal R. Qazi, Ángela A. de Grado Vivero, Omar Y. K. Alani and Jaafar M. H. Elmirghani, “M-PRMA and Pico Cellular MAC Protocols for Multimedia Communication in Wireless Networks”, The 3rd IEEE Workshop on Automotive Networking and Applications, December 2008 New Orleans, LA, USA
- Omar Alani and Rashid Mehmood “Multi-component Teleservice Model for Multimedia Applications” The Second International Conference on Next Generation Mobile Applications, Services and Technologies, 2008. NGMAST '08, Cardiff-UK, September, 2008, pp.492-497.
- Omar Alani and Rashid Mehmood, “Adaptive Resource Allocation Scheme for Wireless Multimedia System”, the International Conference of Wireless and Optical Communications (WOC2007), Montréal, Canada, May 30-June 1, 2007.
- O. Alani and M. Al-Akaidi “Resource Allocation in Multimedia 3G Communication networks” 7th Middle East Symposium on Simulation and Modelling Conference on MESM06, , IEEE sponsored, Alexandra Egypt, August 2006.
- O. Alani and M. Al-Akaidi “Analytical Model for Resource Allocation in Multimedia Communication networks” 3rd IEEE International Conference on Systems, Signals & Devices SSD’05, Tunisia, March 2005
- M. Al-Akaidi, O. Alani “Analytical Model for Multimedia Traffic in 3G Wireless Systems “ 5th IEE International Conference on 3G Mobile communication Technologies (3G2004) London, October 2004, pp639-643 .
- M. Al-Akaidi, O. Alani “Efficient Call Admission Control Procedure for Integrated Services in Hierarchical Cell Structured Networks“ 5th IEE International Conference on 3G Mobile communication Technologies (3G2004) London, October 2004, pp 649 - 653.
- O. Alani, M. Al-Akaidi, ”Cell Assignment Scheme in Hierarchical Cell Structure”, MESM03, IEEE UKRI SPC, publisher EUROSIS, Jan. 2004, pp41-45.
- M. Al-Akaidi, H. Ali, and O. Alani “Performance Analysis of Antenna Sectorisation in Cell Breathing” MESM03, IEEE UKRI SPC, publisher EUROSIS, Jan. 2004.
- M. Al-Akaidi, O. Alani, “ Cell Assignment Management Scheme in Hierarchical Cell Structure”, 4th IEE International Conference on 3G Mobile Communication Technologies, , 25-27 June 2003, London UK, pp232-238.
- O. Alani, M. Al-Akaidi “Call Admission Control for Multitier Networks with Integrated Voice and Data Services”, London Communication Symposium, IEEE UKRI CC, London, September 2003.
- M. Al-Akaidi, D. Alnsour, and O. Alani, "Spectral efficiency evaluation in cellular systems," 3rd IEE International Conference on 3G Mobile Communication Technologies, 2002. (Conf. Publ. NO. 489) London, May 2002, pp:539 - 543
- M. Al-Akaidi, O. Alani and D Alnsour "Performance Evaluation of modulation techniques in Fading Channels with Diversity", 4th Middle East Symposium on Simulation and Modelling, IEEE sponsored, Dubai 2002.
- O. Alani, M. Al-Akaidi, D Alnsour, “Performance Evaluation of MQAM in Fading Channels with Diversity”, Euromedia2003, April 14-16, 2003, Plymouth, UK.
- O. Alani, M. Al-Akaidi, D Alnsour, “Network Planning with different propagation models and antenna configurations”, Faculty of Computing Science and Engineering Conference, De Montfort University, April 14-15, 2003, Leicester, UK.