Dr Kevin Sandiford
Lecturer in Mathematics
- Newton Building Room 270
- T: +44 (0)161 295 2097
- E: firstname.lastname@example.org
- SEEK: Research profile
“Please contact me via email for an appointment”
After obtaining my BSc degree in Mathematics in 1994 from the University of Salford I studied towards my PhD in Theoretical Solid Mechanics at the same University, investigating various aspects of wave propagation in layered media.
Prior to becoming a full time member of staff at the University of Salford I worked for two years on an EPSRC project to investigate the effects meteorological conditions on the outdoor propagation of sound. This involved probing the atmospheric boundary layer with of a pulsed Doppler lidar system and investigating techniques for the retrieval of atmospheric temperature and wind profiles from the raw data provided by the system.
My research interests are in: the dynamic response of elastic structures, specifically wave propagation and vibration in pre-stressed elastic materials; incompressible and rubber-like materials; asymptotic representation of dispersion relations associated with complex layered structures for high and low wave number.
Mathematics at all levels to Engineering students and honours Mathematics students.
BSc Mathematics: Linear Algebra, Tensors and Linear Elasticity, Continuum Mechanics
Engineering programmes: Engineering Mathematics S2, Engineering Mathematics E2
From the 2013/2014 academic year I will be Programme Leader for the Mathematics degree.
Continuum Mechanics: dynamic response of elastic structures, pre-stress and dispersion relations; asymptotic representations.
Qualifications and Memberships
BSc (Hons) Mathematics. University of Salford. 1st Class Honours.
PhD Electronics University of Salford. Thesis title: "Effect of pre-stress on wave propagation in incompressible layered media".
Member of the London Mathematical Society
- Chadwick, E & Sandiford, K & Percy, D F 2011, 'Assessing student teams developing mathematical models applied to business and industrial mathematics', MSOR Connections, 11, pp.22-24.
- Sandiford, K & Prikazchikov, D A & Rogerson, G 2007, 'On localised vibrations in incompressible pre-stressed transversely isotropic elastic solids', Journal of Sound and Vibration.
- Sandiford, K & Prikazchikova, L A & Rogerson, G 2007, 'Abnormal long wave dispersion phenomena in a slightly compressible elastic plate with non-classical boundary conditions', International Journal of Non-Linear Mechanics.
- Sandiford, K & Rogerson, G & Murphy, J 2006, 'Two dimensional motion in a Bell-constrained plate', International Journal of Engineering Science.
- G.A. Rogerson and K.J. Sandiford, Some comments on the dispersion relation for periodically layered pre-stressed elastic media International Journal of Engineering Science, 40, pp 23-49, 2002
- K.J. Sandiford and C.G. Collier, A proposal for the measurement of boundary layer temperature gradient using Doppler Lidar. Atmospheric Science Letters, 1, doi:10.1006/asle.2000.0024. 2001
- G.A. Rogerson and K.J. Sandiford, Asymptotic representations of the dispersion relation for a two-ply, pre-stressed incompressible elastic laminate. Acta Mechanica, 143, pp 179-201. 2000
- K.J. Sandiford and G.A. Rogerson, Some dynamic properties of nearly incompressible (rubber-like) layered media. International Journal of Non-linear Mechanics, 35(5), pp 849-868. 2000.
- G.A. Rogerson and K.J. Sandiford, The effect of finite primary deformations on harmonic waves in layered elastic media. International Journal of Solids and Structures, 37(14), pp 2059-2081. 2000.
- G.A. Rogerson and K.J. Sandiford, Harmonic wave propagation along a non-principal direction in a pre-stressed elastic plate. International Journal of Engineering Science, 37(13), pp 1663-1691. 1999.
- G.A. Rogerson and K.J. Sandiford, Harmonic waves in layered and periodically layered pre-stressed elastic media. Proceedings of the 4th International Conference on Vibration Problems, pp182-186. 1999.
- G.A. Rogerson and K.J. Sandiford, The effect of finite primary deformations on the dynamic response of incompressible layered elastic media. Proceedings of the 3rdInternational Conference on Non-Linear Mechanics, Shanghai, China, pp 360-364. 1998.
- G.A. Rogerson and K.J. Sandiford, Flexural waves in incompressible pre-stressed elastic composites. Quarterly Journal of Mechanics and Applied Mathematics, 50(4), pp 297-624. 1997.
- G.A. Rogerson and K.J. Sandiford, On small amplitude vibrations of pre-stressed laminates. International Journal of Engineering Science. 34(8), pp 853-872. 1996.
- G.A. Rogerson and K.J. Sandiford, Waves in pre-stressed, incompressible composites. Proceedings of The Third International Conference on Composites Engineering. New Orleans, USA. pp 725-726. 1996.