Conditions of service
To use this service you must meet all statutory legal requirements with regards to your legal obligations as an employer. Please do not complete our free vacancy service form if you do not meet these requirements. These include:
- The obligations of relevant UK and EU employment legislation on employers
- The deduction of Tax and National Insurance from staff pay, where applicable
- The Working Time Directive entitlements
- The provision of adequate employer and public liability insurance cover
- Health & Safety regulations
- Compliance with legislation against discrimination in employment on the basis of gender, ethnic origin, disability, religion or belief, sexual orientation, age etc.
- Part-time jobs, vacation-period jobs and placements are promoted to current University of Salford students via Careers and Employability’s website and via emails sent to students who have registered as seeking employment
- Part-time / vacation-period jobs
- Graduate opportunities aimed at graduates who have already completed their studies are promoted via to University of Salford graduates via 'Graduate Vacancies'
- Industrial Placements below £12,000 pro rata per annum will NOT be promoted
- We recommend a minimum pay level of £6.19 per hour (the Adult National Minimum Wage)
- Industrial placements usually last 12 months and usually start on a date between June and September. After completion of a placement, students return to University to complete their final year of study. Many employers take the opportunity to offer students (who did well on placement) a graduate job that will commence after their graduation
- Summer placements start and end between June and September
- Commission ONLY vacancies will NOT be promoted. Vacancies must pay the appropriate National Minimum Wage regardless of how many sales / commissions are made or not made
- Vacancies (not placements) that are over 20 hours work per week during term-time / teaching periods will NOT be promoted. Placement opportunities and full-time vacancies over the Christmas, Easter or June to September summer period can be promoted
- Please notify us if your vacancies have been filled / amended
- Around 10% of University of Salford students are from outside of the UK. Many will not have a National Insurance Number (NIN) if they have not worked in the UK before. You can start employing an International student* who does not have a NIN. You must then supply the student with proof that you have offered them work or that they have started working for you. Students can use this to obtain a NIN from a local JobCentrePlus by calling 0845 6000 643. *A small minority of International students do not have the right to work in the UK. If a student is unsure, refer them to the “University of Salford Information Advice and Guidance Services”, 0161 295 0467
- Please contact us if you require the use of a room at the University of Salford to interview or deliver a presentation to students. Telephone 0161 295 4179
- The University of Salford Careers and Employability reserves the right to not promote vacancies if they are considered unsuitable for students or if this form is not fully completed or if information provided is incorrect. We have a responsibility to maintain a duty of care to our students
- The University of Salford Careers and Employability adheres to UK & EU employment legislation. Careers and Employability actively promotes equality of access for all client groups, operating in line with the University of Salford's policies on Equality and Diversity
- Data Protection - Careers and Employability at Salford University undertakes to keep all client records in accordance with Data Protection legislation. Information will not be revealed to third parties without the express permission of the client.
- When determining the suitability of a volunteering opportunity, we consider the following:
1. What is the purpose of the volunteering opportunity? Are the services performed for the broader benefit of society (educational, widening participation or civic purposes)?
2. Are the services entirely voluntary, with no direct or indirect pressure by the organisation, with no promise of direct advancement and no penalty for not participating in volunteering?
3. Does the proposed volunteering opportunity impair the employment opportunities of others by performing work that would otherwise be performed by regular, paid employees within the same organisation?
4. Are the services provided by volunteers the same as services provided by someone who is paid or could the volunteer be classed as a worker?
· In addition, the following criteria must be met:
§ Your organisation must be a charity, not-for-profit organisation (including social enterprises and public sector organisations) or community group.
§ Reasonable travel expenses, agreed in advance, must be paid by the organisation or transport provided (reasonable is determined as £5 per day). If expenses are incurred as part of the role above those normally paid these must be agreed in advance and also be covered.
§ The number of hours per week to volunteer must be no more than 20 during term time – our academic calendar can be viewed here.
§ If the role requires a Disclosure and Barring Service check to be conducted, the organisation must conduct this (or arrange for it to be conducted on the volunteer's behalf) and any administrative costs paid by the organisation.
§ Policies or suitable arrangements as detailed below must be in place.
· We do not advertise international volunteering opportunities where volunteers are required to fundraise to access the opportunity or pay costs i.e. training, accommodation, food, flights, visas or any other associated with their volunteer placement.
· You will be required to tick to confirm you agree to these when registering your organisation.
· Our Volunteering Policy can be viewed in full here.
If you have any questions at all, please feel free to contact us at USCATs@Salford.ac.uk or on 0161 295 5088
Your feedback is important to us. Please complete a feedback form when you have finished using our vacancy / placement promotion services, available on request and online.