Bespoke consultancy services delivered by industry experts
Dr Abdi Ali
Lecturer in Economics & Finance, Research Coordinator for Accounting, Finance & Economics
- Maxwell 305
- T: 56103
- E: A.email@example.com
- Linkedin: https://uk.linkedin.com/in/abdi-ali
“Please contact me via email for an appointment”
Prior to joining Salford Business School in September 2017, I was a Lecturer in Economics at Aberystwyth University, as well as the Director of Postgraduate Studies. I am an External Research Associate at the Global Development Institute of the University of Manchester and at the China and Emerging Economies Centre, Northampton Business School. I hold an MSc (Econ) with Distinction as well as a PhD (Econ) from the University of Manchester.
- ¿ Principles of Economics (first year UG)
- Macroeconomic Analysis (second year UG)
- ¿ Risk, Regulation & Compliance (PG)
- Capital flows; economic and financial integration; financial and economic development
- Private sector dynamics in LDCs w. p. focus on innovative practices at firm-level
- Commodity price volatility; agricultural supply response
- Social and human capital; resource mobilization; African economies
Qualifications and Memberships
Fellow of the Higher Education Academy
Journal Articles and Book Chapters
- Alpaslan B, & Ali A. (2017). The Spillover Effects of Innovative Ideas on Human Capital. Review of Development Economics. 00:1–28. https://doi.org/10.1111/rode.12344
- Ali, A., & Alpaslan, B. (2017). Pro-industry policies, sustainability and industrial growth, forthcoming in M. Yulet (Ed.) Industrial policy and sustainable growth, Springer Academic Publishers.
- Ali, A., & Alpaslan, B. (2017). Is there an investment motive behind remittances? Evidence from panel cointegration, Journal of Developing Areas, 51 (1), 63-82.
- Ali, A., & Imai, K. S. (2015). Crisis, economic integration and growth collapses in African countries. Journal of African Economies, 24(4), 471-501. [Editor’s Choice]
- Imai, K. S., Gaiha, R., Ali, A., & Kaicker, N. (2014). Remittances, growth and poverty: New evidence from Asian countries. Journal of Policy Modeling, 36(3), 524-538. [Also published as an IFAD/UN policy report/occasional paper Nr. 15, 2012].
- Ali, A. (2013). Are property rights institutions and financial development complements or substitutes? The case of private investment. Economics Bulletin, 33(2), 1126-1131.
- Imai, K. S., Gaiha, R., Thapa, G., & Ali, A. (2012). Supply response to food price changes in Asian countries, in M. Aoki, T. Kuran and G. Roland (eds.) Institutions and Comparative Economic Development, Palgrave, Macmillan, New York.
- Ali, A., & Walters, B. (2011). On the causes of capital flight from Sub-Saharan Africa. CSAE Oxford University Conference Paper No. 679.
- Ali, A. (2011). Institutional quality, financial development and capital flight. The Sixteenth World Congress of International Economic Association, Beijing, China.