Professor Peter Barrett
Professor of Management in Property and Construction
- Maxwell Building Room 400
- T: +44 (0)161 295 5588
- M: + 44 (0)7836704743
- E: email@example.com
- SEEK: Research profile
“Please contact me via email for an appointment”
I have been in the School of the Built Environment, University of Salford since 1988. In 1990 I started the postgraduate programme of research in School; became a professor in 1992; from 1993-6 I was Head of School and Director of the Research Institute for the Built and Human Environment; in 1998 I became faculty Dean and in 2001 Pro-vice Chancellor for Research and Graduate Studies for the whole University. I am now a research professor in the School, Member of UK High Level Group of the Construction Technology Platform and of the High Level Group of the European Construction Platform and was until recently External Examiner at the University of Cambridge for their MSt in Interdisciplinary Design for the Built Environment.
Prior to my time at Salford I was a Senior Lecturer in the Department of Building Economics at South Bank Polytechnic, London for three years. Before that I practiced as a Chartered Building Surveyor in industry for nine years.
Please see my personal website for additional information: http://www.ri.salford.ac.uk/peterbarrett
My main input is as part of the Research Methods Team that provides programmed support to all MSc students as they address their dissertations. I also supervise a number of doctoral students and make occasional presentations to other groups within the School.
Briefing, facilities management, construction management, practice management and, especially, the sensory impact of building design on users’ well-being and effectiveness (particularly in schools and retail environments).
Qualifications and Memberships
2007: Doctor of Science (DSc) awarded by the University of Salford
2002: Accepted into membership of The Institute for Learning and Teaching
1989: Fellow (FRICS) of the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors
1989: PhD (CNAA) “Practice Management in Selected Construction-related Disciplines” – first Chartered Building Surveyor to gain a PhD.
1984: MSc Construction Management, Brunel University
1981: Professional Associate (ARICS) of the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors (Building Surveying Division).
- P. Barrett and E. Finch (2014) Facilities Management: The Dynamics of Excellence, Third Edition, Wiley-Blackwell, Chichester, 320 pp. ISBN 978-0-4706-7397-3.
- P. Barrett, L. Barrett, and F. Davies, Achieving a step change in the optimal sensory design of buildings for users at all life-stages. Building and Environment, 2013. 67(0): p. 97-104. http://authors.elsevier.com/sd/article/S036013231300156X
- P.S.Barrett, Y. Zhang, J. Moffat and K.Kobbacy (2013). "An holistic, multi-level analysis identifying the impact of classroom design on pupils' learning." Building and Environment. Vol 59, pp678-689. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.buildenv.2012.09.016
- P Barrett & Y Zhang (2012), Teachers’ views on the designs of their primary schools, Intelligent Buildings International, 4:2, pp89-110, DOI:10.1080/17508975.2012.672305
- A. Short, P. Barrett and A. Fair (2011). Geometry and Atmosphere: Theatre Buildings from Vision to Reality, Ashgate Publishing Company, Farnham.
- P. Barrett and L. Barrett (2010). "The Potential of Positive Places: Senses, Brain and Spaces." Intelligent Buildings International 2: 218-228. DOI:103763/inbi2010.0042
- Peter Barrett and Lucinda Barrett, (2009), Managing Academic Workloads: Improving Practice in the Sector, LFHE, London.
- Peter Barrett, Martin Sexton and Angela Lee, (2008), Innovation in Small Construction Firms, Taylor and Francis, London, ISBN 9780415246415.