Dr Athena Moustaka
Lecturer in Architecture
- New Adelphi 5.40
- T: 0161 2955369
- E: firstname.lastname@example.org
During term time:
Available other times by appointment
I am a Lecturer in Architectural Design, in the School of Built environment.
Being originally trained as an engineer, and currently researching in the field of architectural theory, I always endeavour to reconcile my strong technical and on-site experience with my theoretical architectural interests in my teaching, research and architectural work. My current inter-disciplinary research on concrete sits on the cusp of architecture and philosophy. Prior to turning my research focus on concrete, my interests revolved around the role of architecture in Science and Technology Studies and Ottoman architecture.
Having worked professionally as an architect, I have experience in managing medium to large scale projects (with budgets up to 5.7 million euros), and on-site design implementation
Design Representation and Modelling (BSc Architecture)
Design Studio 1A (BSc Architecture)
Design studio 1B (BSc Architecture)
Principles of Architectural Structures (BSc Architecture)
Technology 1 (BSc Quantity Surveying, BSc Building surveying, BSc Architecture Design and Technology, BSc Construction Project Management)
Design Studies 1 (BSc Architecture Design and Technology)
Design Research Project supervision (BSc Architecture)
Discipline Research Project supervision (BSc Quantity Surveying, BSc Building surveying, BSc Architecture Design and Technology)
MSc Dissertation Supervision (Level 7)
I am also Level 4 (year 1) tutor for BSc Architecture and programme Director for BSc Architectural Engineering.
Studies of concrete, Brutalism, Material ontologies, Affect, Assemblage Theory, Actor Network Theory in architecture.
Qualifications and Memberships
RIBA- Royal Institute of British Architects
ARB- Architects Registration Board
PhD in Architecture, University of Manchester 2016
Thesis title: “The networks of concrete: Tracing materiality in the redevelopment of Park Hill”
MArch in Architecture, Aristotle University of Thessaloniki
MSc in Environmental Design of Buildings, Welsh School of Architecture
BEng in Architectural Engineering, Cardiff University
· Moustaka, A., (2017) 'Reterritorializing concrete as an actor of comfort’. In: Boundas, C., Tentokali, V., (eds.) Architectural and Urban reflections after Deleuze and Guattari, London: Rowman and Littlefield.
Peer-reviewed conference proceedings:
• Moustaka, A., Smith, A. J. and Akintoye, A., (2012) Towards an anthropocentric approach in sustainability research, in: Proceedings of the 11th European Facilities Management Research Symposium, May 2012, Copenhagen, Denmark.
• Theodoridou-Sotiriou, M. E., Moustaka-Kampouri, A., (2013) The tobacco firms and their administration offi ces in Cavalla during the first half of the 20th century: the dissemination of the Austro-Hungarian and Swedish architectural style, in: Proceedings of the 2nd annual Athens- Kavala conference in Science and Technology studies, July 2013, Kavalla, Greece.
• Smith, A. J. and Moustaka, A., (2012) Neuroscience: an emerging field in facilities management? Essential Facilities Management Report, 99. pp. 4-5. ISSN 1471-9835.
• Theodoridou-Sotiriou M.E., Moustaka-Kampouri, A.,(2012) Ottoman Municipal Buildings in Greece. A common cultural heritage, in: Proceedings of the International Conference on History of Architecture (ARCHHIST ’12), May 2012, Istanbul, Turkey.
• Moustaka, A., Tracing Comfort through the Technical Agencies of Concrete: The 6th International Conference on the Constructed Environment, April 2016, University of Arizona, Tuscon, AZ, USA
• Moustaka A., De-territorialised networks of concrete: Deleuze and Guattari Conference, Refrains of Freedom, April 2015, Athens, Greece.
• Moustaka A., Following the agency of spalling concrete: Arquitectonics Network: Architecture, education and society, June 2015, College of Architects of Catalonia, Barcelona, Spain.
• Moustaka, A., “Will U Marry me”, Traces of the everyday on the concrete of Park Hill: PhD Conference, November 2013, Manchester, UK.
• Moustaka, A., The tobacco firms and their administration offi ces in Cavalla during the first half of the 20th century: Presentation at the 2nd annual Athens- Kavala conference in Science and Technology studies, July 2013, Kavalla, Greece