2008 International Conference on Building Resilience
The International Conference on Building Resilience series began in 2008 with an event held in Sri Lanka from 11– 15 February at the Heritance Kandalama Hotel near Dambulla. The conference was a landmark gathering for international academics, practitioners, professionals and policy makers concerned with the future of built environment education and research.
The 2008 conference specifically targeted the promotion of built environment related education and research towards a more expansive view of the life cycle of infrastructure projects, one that extends beyond the traditional cycle of feasibility analysis, planning, design, construction, operation, maintenance and divestiture. This revised life cycle should encompass the construction professional’s ability to anticipate and respond to unexpected events that damage or destroy an infrastructure project. 168 papers were published in the conference proceedings and over 170 delegates participated.
The conference gained the support and endorsement of a wide range of organisations: CEBE, Centre for Education in the Built Environment; RICS, Royal Institution of Charted Surveyors; AIQS, Australian Institute of Quantity Surveyors; ISR, Institute of Sustainable Resources; SLIA, Sri Lanka Institute of Architects; IESL, Institution of Engineers, Sri Lanka; UGC, University Grants Commission, Sri Lanka; Ministry of Education, Sri Lanka; ICTAD, Institute of Construction Training and Development, Sri Lanka; HFH, Habitat for Humanity Habitat for Humanity; World Bank; Sri Lanka Convension Bureau. Key events during the conference included:
- Five keynote addresses by leading academics and practitioners on different challenges across the disaster management lifecycle
- A themed discussion on the role of the construction industry in disaster preparedness, response and reconstruction, with contributions from a range of CIB working commission and task group coordinators
- Meetings of five major CIB working commissions and task groups
- A special issue of the Journal of Education in the Built Environment
- A special session of student papers from the University of Moratuwa and the University of Ruhuna
- A CIB student chapter annual general meeting and research skills workshops
- Prizes by CIOB, Emerald Publishing and Taylor & Francis publishing