Journalism and Communications
Do you want to be a journalist, understand social networking, or develop the technology that enables us to deliver all forms of media in the 21st Century?
In the Journalism and Communications Directorate you will find undergraduate and postgraduate programmes covering all the relevant platforms to equip you for the modern media environment. From print and online to radio and TV, social media, community networking and the technology designed to bring all of this to the audience, Journalism and Communications at the University of Salford has every angle covered.
You will be taught by industry professionals and academic experts, with guest speakers from the media world delivering inspiring lectures and masterclasses. There is a strong emphasis on practical work for students to develop essential professional skills and we also encourage cross-directorate collaboration to replicate industry practice. For instance, journalism students will work alongside media technology students on news days to produce high quality broadcast programmes.
Periods of work experience and real-world projects are key elements of our courses to build up the skills and expertise required by today’s media industry.
All courses provide a strong foundation and then allow for specialization, such as sports or broadcast journalism, or designing for mobile and internet TV.
Our courses are based in the heart of the multi-million pound MediaCityUK alongside key media organizations including the BBC, ITV and the Daily Telegraph. Surely there is no better place to study journalism and communications.
Courses available in Journalism and Communications
- BA (Hons) Journalism (variety of pathways)
- BSc (Hons) Media Technology (variety of pathways)
- BSc (Hons) Professional Broadcast Techniques
MA in Journalism is accredited by the National Council for Training of Journalists (NCTJ)
- Taught from our new building located at MediaCityUK at the heart of the North West’s media and creative industries.
- Opportunities to collaborate with students from other programmes studying at MediaCityUK will provide a real working experience attractive to employers
- The modules offered are closely aligned with the preliminary professional examinations set by the NCTJ – the first stage in gaining a qualification recognised by the industry.
See a video of our fantastic new building at MediaCityUK...