To oversee and make recommendation to Council as appropriate on matters concerning membership and representation on other internal and external bodies and the operation and effectiveness of corporate governance arrangements, including those regarding Council itself.
To develop and oversee policies, procedures, codes of practice and guidelines in relation to ethical issues.
1. To make recommendation to Council on the operation and effective discharge of the University scheme for corporate governance and the appropriate delegation of Council’s authority.
2. To make recommendation to Council on proposed changes to the University’s Charter, Statutes and Ordinances.
3. To make recommendation to Council on developments and good practice in governance and the conduct of Council business, taking cognisance of national guidelines.
4. To make recommendation to Council in respect of the process for the appointment of a Vice- Chancellor or Acting Vice-Chancellor in accordance with Statute 3.
5. To make recommendation to Council in respect of the appointment of:
6. To approve mechanisms to enable effective assessment of the contribution of Council members (at least annually) and to report to Council on the output from such mechanisms, including development needs.
7. To review and monitor the membership needs of the Council and its standing committees (including the need for appropriate succession planning) and to solicit, receive and review names of potential members.
8. To make recommendation to Council on the appointment of Council representatives on other bodies.
9. To make recommendation to Council on the establishment, terms of reference, composition, membership and disestablishment of its standing committees and their standing sub-committees.
10. To consider where appropriate the removal of Council members for good reason, to enable the Chair of Council to submit motions to Council as specified in the Ordinances.
11. To monitor and report to Council on the effective operation of the Council’s standing committees and their sub-committees and time or task-limited working groups.
12. To oversee and ensure the effective operation of the University’s whistleblowing procedure.
13. To oversee and ensure the effective operation of the University’s activities relating to adherence to the Prevent Duty.
14. To recommend to Council appropriate mechanisms to ensure engagement and communication with internal and external stakeholders.
15. To keep under review the University’s ethics framework.
16. To ensure that institutional policies, procedures, codes of practice and guidelines take appropriate account of ethical issues and area consistent with the University’s ethics framework.
17. To ensure that Council is apprised of the effective operation of the above arrangements in support of Council’s overall responsibility for ethics governance.
18. To approve the University’s annual Modern Slavery Act statement.