- To advise Council on the operation and effective discharge of the University scheme for corporate governance and the appropriate delegation of Council’s authority.
- To advise Council on developments and good practice in governance and the conduct of Council business, taking cognisance of national guidelines.
- To advise Council on proposed changes to the University’s Charter and Statutes
- To make recommendations to Council in respect of the process for the appointment of a Vice Chancellor or Acting Vice-Chancellor in accordance with Statute 3
- To make recommendations to Council in respect of the appointment of
· a Chancellor
· Independent Members of Council in accordance with Statute 4
· Internal Members of Council other than those appointed by methods prescribed in Statute 4.3
- To approve mechanisms to enable effective assessment of the contribution of Council members (at least annually) and to report to Council on the output from such mechanisms, including development needs.
- To review and monitor the membership needs of the Council and its standing committees (including the need for appropriate succession planning) and to solicit, receive and review names of potential members
- To advise Council on the appointment of Council representatives on other bodies.
- To advise Council on the establishment, terms of reference, composition, membership and disestablishment of its standing committees and their standing sub-committees.
- To consider where appropriate the removal of Council members for good reason, to enable the Chair of Council to submit motions to Council as specified in the Ordinances.
- To monitor and report to Council on the effective operation of the Council’s standing committees and their sub-committees and time or task-limited working groups.
- To advise Council on mechanisms to ensure engagement and communication with internal and external stakeholders.
- To recommend to Council the establishment, terms of reference and composition of any time or task-limited working groups deemed necessary to develop, advance or review the Committee’s business.
- To develop an ethical framework for the University, to be approved by Council.
- To ensure that institutional policies, procedures, codes of practice and guidelines take appropriate account of ethical issues and area consistent with the University’s ethical framework.
- To ensure that Council is apprised of the effective operation of the above arrangements in support of Council’s overall responsibility for ethical governance.